10 Facts You Should Know about Microsoft’s Potential New CEO Satya Nadella
By Rohit KVN | January 31, 2014 10:28 PM EST
After five months of intense scrutiny, board members of American technology giant Microsoft are all but certain to anoint the Hyderabad-born Satya Nadella as the new CEO, replacing the current chief Steve Ballmer.
Satya Nadella, executive vice president, Cloud and Enterprise, addresses employees during the One Microsoft Town Hall event in Seattle, Washington in this July 11, 2013 photo made available to Reuters on January 30, 2014.
- Satya (aka Satyanarayana) Nadella, born in 1967, did his early education at Hyderabad Public School (Begumpet), Andhra Pradesh.
- He went on to complete his bachelor's degree in electrical engineering at Manipal Univerisity (1988 batch), Karnataka.
- Satya then moved to USA for higher education, there he got MS (Master of Science) degree in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) and also went to get MBA (Master of Business Administration) from the University of Chicago Booth School Of Business.
- Before his tryst with Microsoft, he worked at top ICT (Information and Communication Technology) company Sun Microsystems (now owned by Oracle).
- In 1992, he joined Microsoft as Program Manager in Windows Developer Relation Group.
- From there on, Satya went on to head Microsoft's Online Service Division (R&D) and later as vice-president of Server and Tools Business.
- Satya has been credited for spearheading Microsoft's Database, Windows Server and developer tools in cloud computing platform Azure.
- Ever since he took over the helm at Microsoft's 'Cloud and Enterprise' in 2011, the division has grown from $16.6 billion to $20.3 billion (as of June 2013).
- Satya is yet to be officially appointed as the Microsoft CEO; Internally, he was competing with former Nokia Chief Stephen Elop, Tony Bates (Executive Vice President for Business Development & Evangelism at Microsoft) and Kevin Turner (Chief Operating Officer). Others include - Alan Mulally (Ford Motor Co, CEO), Steve Mollenkopf (already out of race, he is now the CEO of Qualcomm Inc.) and Hans Vestberg (Ericsson AB CEO )
- If anointed, Satya will be become Microsoft's third CEO in the four decade-long history of the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists