10 Facts You Should Know about Microsoft’s Potential New CEO Satya Nadella
By Rohit KVN | January 31, 2014 10:28 PM EST
After five months of intense scrutiny, board members of American technology giant Microsoft are all but certain to anoint the Hyderabad-born Satya Nadella as the new CEO, replacing the current chief Steve Ballmer.
Satya Nadella, executive vice president, Cloud and Enterprise, addresses employees during the One Microsoft Town Hall event in Seattle, Washington in this July 11, 2013 photo made available to Reuters on January 30, 2014.
- Satya (aka Satyanarayana) Nadella, born in 1967, did his early education at Hyderabad Public School (Begumpet), Andhra Pradesh.
- He went on to complete his bachelor's degree in electrical engineering at Manipal Univerisity (1988 batch), Karnataka.
- Satya then moved to USA for higher education, there he got MS (Master of Science) degree in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) and also went to get MBA (Master of Business Administration) from the University of Chicago Booth School Of Business.
- Before his tryst with Microsoft, he worked at top ICT (Information and Communication Technology) company Sun Microsystems (now owned by Oracle).
- In 1992, he joined Microsoft as Program Manager in Windows Developer Relation Group.
- From there on, Satya went on to head Microsoft's Online Service Division (R&D) and later as vice-president of Server and Tools Business.
- Satya has been credited for spearheading Microsoft's Database, Windows Server and developer tools in cloud computing platform Azure.
- Ever since he took over the helm at Microsoft's 'Cloud and Enterprise' in 2011, the division has grown from $16.6 billion to $20.3 billion (as of June 2013).
- Satya is yet to be officially appointed as the Microsoft CEO; Internally, he was competing with former Nokia Chief Stephen Elop, Tony Bates (Executive Vice President for Business Development & Evangelism at Microsoft) and Kevin Turner (Chief Operating Officer). Others include - Alan Mulally (Ford Motor Co, CEO), Steve Mollenkopf (already out of race, he is now the CEO of Qualcomm Inc.) and Hans Vestberg (Ericsson AB CEO )
- If anointed, Satya will be become Microsoft's third CEO in the four decade-long history of the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People