Yahoo Mail Hacked: What to do if Your Email is Hacked
By Johnlee Varghese | January 31, 2014 10:10 PM EST
Yahoo apprised its users on Friday that several accounts and usernames had been compromised by hackers. The coordinated hack attacks were an attempt to gain access to Yahoo Mail acccounts and the company is now asking its users to reset their accounts.
As per the Yahoo blog, a malicious computer software used the list of usernames and passwords to access Yahoo Mail accounts. "The information sought in the attack seems to be names and email addresses from the affected accounts' most recent sent emails," a Yahoo statement said.
Yahoo claimed that the information was collected from a third-pary database.
Here are a list of measures one should immediately take to secure the account
1. Check email provider's site for information
No email account is safe from online hacking and hence every email provider, such as Yahoo, Google and Microsoft, have an online instructions page on what do to, in case an account has been hacked.
Yahoo Mail has links titled "I can't access my account" on its front page. Similarly, Google has a separate set of instructions, and so does Microsoft.
2. Clear Computer of viruses or malware
Often hackers are able to get users' passwords through malware that has been installed in a PC or a laptop without the knowledge of the user. Hence, before recovering your account or changing the password, clear the viruses or malware.
3. Notify Friends and Family
Notify friends and family as soon as possible and warn them not to open anything from your compromised email address. Also tell those who’ve received spam from you to run a scan using their anti-virus and to update their firewall protection.
4. Change or reset your password
After running the antivirus program, try signing to the email account. If you are able to sign into your account then, change your password. If you cannot sign in, reset your password. But ensure that you are using a strong password.
5. Check the personal email settings
It is possible that the email hacker may have created an email forwarding policy. Also check, if the hacker has fiddled with your automatic signature or put some malicious link.
6. Change the password for all other accounts
It is also imperative that you change the password of other accounts as well. Often some users tend to use same password for their other accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, and in some cases, even for their bank accounts. Hence as a precaution, change them all.
7. Examine the Email Folders
If your email was hacked by a spammer, then in all possibility, the hijacker would have sent tons of emails from your username. Simply delete them all.
8. Always be careful
Try not to use public computers to check e-mail, as there is no way to know if they are infected with malwares. But if you absolutely must, then ensure that you keep changing your password periodically.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories