Robyn Lawley's Cosmo AU Cover a Breakthrough in Magazine Covers
By Jesselle Maminta | January 31, 2014 9:10 PM EST
A lot of plus-sized models and celebrities have posed for the cover of various fashion magazines; but most of the time, as Tony Posnanski of Huffington Post notes in his open letter, the description 'plus size' takes the focus on the models' size and weight and away from their modeling talent.
In what might be a response to Posnanski's open letter, Cosmopolitan Australia responds by featuring Robyn Lawley in the the cover of its March issue, which will be out in newsstands Down Under Monday, February 3.
During her interview for the magazine, Robyn also frowns upon the 'plus size' label to describe her body because "it puts women down and it puts a label on them." Indeed, Cosmo veered away from the word 'plus size' and put her in a more positive light with a 'supermodel' description and the phrase "Ending the 'thigh gap' obsession."
But it was not the first time Robyn posed for a magazine cover -- she has previously graced the covers of Vogue Italia and Elle France. And it was not her first time to shoot for Cosmo Australia, either -- in 2013 she did an editorial spread for the magazine featuring her own swimsuit line.
Various fashion observers has lauded Cosmo AU's move towards a more positive body image through their March cover girl. Elle is pleased that the magazine presented "a sexy woman in a sexy outfit on the cover of a sexy magazine without calling out her weight is nice to see." Huffington Post, on the other hand, hopes that with this stunning cover and the positive message that it exudes, "perhaps the American magazines will take note."
Now that Cosmo Australia heeded to Posnanski's call, surely the rest of the magazine sector should take notice. And eventually, the fashion industry will realize that a model should not be without any body distinction.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On