NBA Trade News: Orlando Magic to Extend Nikola Vucevic’s Contract
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 31, 2014 8:47 PM EST
The Orlando Magic are planning to extend the contract of third-year big man Nikola Vucevic, a reliable league source disclosed on Thursday.
According to NBA Trade Rumors, the Magic are very much interested to keep Vucevic for more seasons after coming up with a solid performance in his second year in the league and first season with Orlando in the 2012-2013 season.
NBA: Preseason-Orlando Magic at Dallas Mavericks
Despite having a quiet season, Vucevic is still posting pretty good numbers by averaging 13.0 points and 11.0 rebounds with a 17.8 PER after missing some games due to a concussion.
"Center Nikola Vucevic hasn't shown the rapid growth this season that he displayed in a breakout campaign last year, but Magic GM Rob Hennigan nonetheless remains high on the 23-year-old," according to Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel (Twitter links).
The 6-foot-10 Vucevic has expressed his intention to be part of the Magic's long-term future in Orlando. If he agrees to the term, he will be eligible to ink a rookie scale extension deal this coming summer.
"I'd love to be in Orlando for a while," Vucevic said. "I like the direction of the team. We have a lot of good stuff going forward. I'd love to be a part of it," said Vucevic.
According to basketball followers, the Magic should sign Vucevic right away because double-double big men have been rare in the league for the past years.
"A 6'10″ consistent double-double producer is a valuable commodity in the NBA, but it'd be a stretch for him to command the max. He could fit into the $12-13M range that Al Horford and Joakim Noah make on their deals, though that's just my speculation," said NBA Trade Rumors.
Vucevic forms part of the Magic's young core of players such as rookie guards Victor Oladipo and Andrew Nicholson.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef