NBA Trade News: Orlando Magic to Extend Nikola Vucevic’s Contract
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 31, 2014 8:47 PM EST
The Orlando Magic are planning to extend the contract of third-year big man Nikola Vucevic, a reliable league source disclosed on Thursday.
According to NBA Trade Rumors, the Magic are very much interested to keep Vucevic for more seasons after coming up with a solid performance in his second year in the league and first season with Orlando in the 2012-2013 season.
NBA: Preseason-Orlando Magic at Dallas Mavericks
Despite having a quiet season, Vucevic is still posting pretty good numbers by averaging 13.0 points and 11.0 rebounds with a 17.8 PER after missing some games due to a concussion.
"Center Nikola Vucevic hasn't shown the rapid growth this season that he displayed in a breakout campaign last year, but Magic GM Rob Hennigan nonetheless remains high on the 23-year-old," according to Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel (Twitter links).
The 6-foot-10 Vucevic has expressed his intention to be part of the Magic's long-term future in Orlando. If he agrees to the term, he will be eligible to ink a rookie scale extension deal this coming summer.
"I'd love to be in Orlando for a while," Vucevic said. "I like the direction of the team. We have a lot of good stuff going forward. I'd love to be a part of it," said Vucevic.
According to basketball followers, the Magic should sign Vucevic right away because double-double big men have been rare in the league for the past years.
"A 6'10″ consistent double-double producer is a valuable commodity in the NBA, but it'd be a stretch for him to command the max. He could fit into the $12-13M range that Al Horford and Joakim Noah make on their deals, though that's just my speculation," said NBA Trade Rumors.
Vucevic forms part of the Magic's young core of players such as rookie guards Victor Oladipo and Andrew Nicholson.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June