NBA Trade News: Washington Wizards Could Use Marcin Gortat As Future Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 31, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The Washington Wizards reportedly consider re-signing veteran center Marcin Gortat, who was traded by the Phoenix Suns to Washington before the start of the season, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Marcin Gortat blocking Carmelo Anthony
Gortat is averaging 12.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game in his first season with the Wizards. The Polish hammer admitted he's having a hard time adjusting his game, though he remains open to continue his tenure with the Wazards.
"It's clear that I'm not the first or second option on this team. I'm pretty much four or fifth option sometimes with Nene, or Brad or John, touching the ball a lot," Gortat told the Washington Post. "I'm here to make sure the team is going to win. Take care of the dirty stuff. Rebounds. Blocks. Play some good defense. Try to bring some pick and roll presence.
"Playing in Phoenix was a totally different story," he said. "I had more space under the basket. I knew that [I] was going to get the ball inside and I was the guy who was going to work. Here, it's a different story. But I can say, I don't mind doing that. As long as we're winning, I don't mind at all."
Wizards Future Plan
In the wake of report about the Wizards planning to send Gortat to the Detroit Pistons in exchange for Greg Monroe, ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein reported the Wizards are planning to keep the Polish center either before his contract expires in June or re-sign him to a new deal.
"The Wizards will make it a priority to re-sign Marcin Gortat this summer if they can't sign him to an extension before his contract runs out at the end of June, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com (Twitter links)," reported NBA Trade Rumors.
"Washington's brass is "thrilled" with the client of Guy Zucker, according to Stein. The news comes on the heels of a Monday report that the Wizards are interested in fellow big man Greg Monroe and would like to trade for him before the deadline or sign him as a restricted free agent this summer," the site stated.
Then again, Gortat could be used as another chip in future trade as the Wizards prepare for the 2015 Draft class, where big men like Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love and Roy Hibbert will be available on trading block.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS