NBA Trade News: Washington Wizards Could Use Marcin Gortat As Future Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 31, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The Washington Wizards reportedly consider re-signing veteran center Marcin Gortat, who was traded by the Phoenix Suns to Washington before the start of the season, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Marcin Gortat blocking Carmelo Anthony
Gortat is averaging 12.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game in his first season with the Wizards. The Polish hammer admitted he's having a hard time adjusting his game, though he remains open to continue his tenure with the Wazards.
"It's clear that I'm not the first or second option on this team. I'm pretty much four or fifth option sometimes with Nene, or Brad or John, touching the ball a lot," Gortat told the Washington Post. "I'm here to make sure the team is going to win. Take care of the dirty stuff. Rebounds. Blocks. Play some good defense. Try to bring some pick and roll presence.
"Playing in Phoenix was a totally different story," he said. "I had more space under the basket. I knew that [I] was going to get the ball inside and I was the guy who was going to work. Here, it's a different story. But I can say, I don't mind doing that. As long as we're winning, I don't mind at all."
Wizards Future Plan
In the wake of report about the Wizards planning to send Gortat to the Detroit Pistons in exchange for Greg Monroe, ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein reported the Wizards are planning to keep the Polish center either before his contract expires in June or re-sign him to a new deal.
"The Wizards will make it a priority to re-sign Marcin Gortat this summer if they can't sign him to an extension before his contract runs out at the end of June, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com (Twitter links)," reported NBA Trade Rumors.
"Washington's brass is "thrilled" with the client of Guy Zucker, according to Stein. The news comes on the heels of a Monday report that the Wizards are interested in fellow big man Greg Monroe and would like to trade for him before the deadline or sign him as a restricted free agent this summer," the site stated.
Then again, Gortat could be used as another chip in future trade as the Wizards prepare for the 2015 Draft class, where big men like Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love and Roy Hibbert will be available on trading block.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate