NBA Trade News: Washington Wizards Could Use Marcin Gortat As Future Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 31, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The Washington Wizards reportedly consider re-signing veteran center Marcin Gortat, who was traded by the Phoenix Suns to Washington before the start of the season, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Marcin Gortat blocking Carmelo Anthony
Gortat is averaging 12.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game in his first season with the Wizards. The Polish hammer admitted he's having a hard time adjusting his game, though he remains open to continue his tenure with the Wazards.
"It's clear that I'm not the first or second option on this team. I'm pretty much four or fifth option sometimes with Nene, or Brad or John, touching the ball a lot," Gortat told the Washington Post. "I'm here to make sure the team is going to win. Take care of the dirty stuff. Rebounds. Blocks. Play some good defense. Try to bring some pick and roll presence.
"Playing in Phoenix was a totally different story," he said. "I had more space under the basket. I knew that [I] was going to get the ball inside and I was the guy who was going to work. Here, it's a different story. But I can say, I don't mind doing that. As long as we're winning, I don't mind at all."
Wizards Future Plan
In the wake of report about the Wizards planning to send Gortat to the Detroit Pistons in exchange for Greg Monroe, ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein reported the Wizards are planning to keep the Polish center either before his contract expires in June or re-sign him to a new deal.
"The Wizards will make it a priority to re-sign Marcin Gortat this summer if they can't sign him to an extension before his contract runs out at the end of June, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com (Twitter links)," reported NBA Trade Rumors.
"Washington's brass is "thrilled" with the client of Guy Zucker, according to Stein. The news comes on the heels of a Monday report that the Wizards are interested in fellow big man Greg Monroe and would like to trade for him before the deadline or sign him as a restricted free agent this summer," the site stated.
Then again, Gortat could be used as another chip in future trade as the Wizards prepare for the 2015 Draft class, where big men like Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love and Roy Hibbert will be available on trading block.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone