NBA Trade News: Washington Wizards Could Use Marcin Gortat As Future Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 31, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The Washington Wizards reportedly consider re-signing veteran center Marcin Gortat, who was traded by the Phoenix Suns to Washington before the start of the season, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Marcin Gortat blocking Carmelo Anthony
Gortat is averaging 12.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game in his first season with the Wizards. The Polish hammer admitted he's having a hard time adjusting his game, though he remains open to continue his tenure with the Wazards.
"It's clear that I'm not the first or second option on this team. I'm pretty much four or fifth option sometimes with Nene, or Brad or John, touching the ball a lot," Gortat told the Washington Post. "I'm here to make sure the team is going to win. Take care of the dirty stuff. Rebounds. Blocks. Play some good defense. Try to bring some pick and roll presence.
"Playing in Phoenix was a totally different story," he said. "I had more space under the basket. I knew that [I] was going to get the ball inside and I was the guy who was going to work. Here, it's a different story. But I can say, I don't mind doing that. As long as we're winning, I don't mind at all."
Wizards Future Plan
In the wake of report about the Wizards planning to send Gortat to the Detroit Pistons in exchange for Greg Monroe, ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein reported the Wizards are planning to keep the Polish center either before his contract expires in June or re-sign him to a new deal.
"The Wizards will make it a priority to re-sign Marcin Gortat this summer if they can't sign him to an extension before his contract runs out at the end of June, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com (Twitter links)," reported NBA Trade Rumors.
"Washington's brass is "thrilled" with the client of Guy Zucker, according to Stein. The news comes on the heels of a Monday report that the Wizards are interested in fellow big man Greg Monroe and would like to trade for him before the deadline or sign him as a restricted free agent this summer," the site stated.
Then again, Gortat could be used as another chip in future trade as the Wizards prepare for the 2015 Draft class, where big men like Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love and Roy Hibbert will be available on trading block.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- 10 Celebrities Who Took The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Chris Pratt & LeBron James [VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features