NBA Trade News: Washington Wizards Could Use Marcin Gortat As Future Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 31, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The Washington Wizards reportedly consider re-signing veteran center Marcin Gortat, who was traded by the Phoenix Suns to Washington before the start of the season, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.
Marcin Gortat blocking Carmelo Anthony
Gortat is averaging 12.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game in his first season with the Wizards. The Polish hammer admitted he's having a hard time adjusting his game, though he remains open to continue his tenure with the Wazards.
"It's clear that I'm not the first or second option on this team. I'm pretty much four or fifth option sometimes with Nene, or Brad or John, touching the ball a lot," Gortat told the Washington Post. "I'm here to make sure the team is going to win. Take care of the dirty stuff. Rebounds. Blocks. Play some good defense. Try to bring some pick and roll presence.
"Playing in Phoenix was a totally different story," he said. "I had more space under the basket. I knew that [I] was going to get the ball inside and I was the guy who was going to work. Here, it's a different story. But I can say, I don't mind doing that. As long as we're winning, I don't mind at all."
Wizards Future Plan
In the wake of report about the Wizards planning to send Gortat to the Detroit Pistons in exchange for Greg Monroe, ESPN NBA insider Marc Stein reported the Wizards are planning to keep the Polish center either before his contract expires in June or re-sign him to a new deal.
"The Wizards will make it a priority to re-sign Marcin Gortat this summer if they can't sign him to an extension before his contract runs out at the end of June, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com (Twitter links)," reported NBA Trade Rumors.
"Washington's brass is "thrilled" with the client of Guy Zucker, according to Stein. The news comes on the heels of a Monday report that the Wizards are interested in fellow big man Greg Monroe and would like to trade for him before the deadline or sign him as a restricted free agent this summer," the site stated.
Then again, Gortat could be used as another chip in future trade as the Wizards prepare for the 2015 Draft class, where big men like Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love and Roy Hibbert will be available on trading block.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast