Carly Rae Jepsen And Owl City To Pay $800K For ‘Good Time’ Plagiarism [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | January 31, 2014 8:40 PM EST
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City’s “Good Time” is a rip-off of a lesser known track, “AH, It’s A Love Song,” a court has ruled. Singer Ally Burnett claimed in a lawsuit she filed in 2012 that the “Call Me Maybe” hitmaker and Adam Young of Owl City plagiarised her song.
However, Jepsen, Young, and several publishing companies shouldn’t have attained success with the song, according to Burnett, because it was a rip-off of her own tune, which she released in 2010.
The Alabama-based singer/songwriter declared in the copyright infringement lawsuit she filed in California that Young, Matt Thiessen, and Brian Lee copied a prominent motif of her song to compose “Good Time.”
The complaint stated that “Good Time” contained identical pitch sequence, melodic contour, rhythmic construction, and timbre as Burnett’s “AH, It’s A Love Song.”
“Many consumers may incorrectly assume that Burnett copied her own Original Motif from the Infringing Songwriters due to the widespread popularity and publication of ‘Good Time,’” the lawsuit read. “Burnett’s reputation as an independent artist will be significantly damaged by such incorrect assumptions.”
And as a result of the theft, Burnett has “suffered emotional and psychological damage.”
She proved to be successful in her suit two years later.
As TMZ reported, a judge ruled in Burnett’s favour on Thursday, declaring Jepsen and Young’s “Good Time” a blatant rip-off of “AH, It’s A Love Song.”
The judge ordered BMI, the company that collects royalties for the song, to pay the independent artist $804,156.
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City, “Good Time”
Ally Burnett, “AH, It’s A Love Song”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date