Carly Rae Jepsen And Owl City To Pay $800K For ‘Good Time’ Plagiarism [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | January 31, 2014 8:40 PM EST
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City’s “Good Time” is a rip-off of a lesser known track, “AH, It’s A Love Song,” a court has ruled. Singer Ally Burnett claimed in a lawsuit she filed in 2012 that the “Call Me Maybe” hitmaker and Adam Young of Owl City plagiarised her song.
However, Jepsen, Young, and several publishing companies shouldn’t have attained success with the song, according to Burnett, because it was a rip-off of her own tune, which she released in 2010.
The Alabama-based singer/songwriter declared in the copyright infringement lawsuit she filed in California that Young, Matt Thiessen, and Brian Lee copied a prominent motif of her song to compose “Good Time.”
The complaint stated that “Good Time” contained identical pitch sequence, melodic contour, rhythmic construction, and timbre as Burnett’s “AH, It’s A Love Song.”
“Many consumers may incorrectly assume that Burnett copied her own Original Motif from the Infringing Songwriters due to the widespread popularity and publication of ‘Good Time,’” the lawsuit read. “Burnett’s reputation as an independent artist will be significantly damaged by such incorrect assumptions.”
And as a result of the theft, Burnett has “suffered emotional and psychological damage.”
She proved to be successful in her suit two years later.
As TMZ reported, a judge ruled in Burnett’s favour on Thursday, declaring Jepsen and Young’s “Good Time” a blatant rip-off of “AH, It’s A Love Song.”
The judge ordered BMI, the company that collects royalties for the song, to pay the independent artist $804,156.
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City, “Good Time”
Ally Burnett, “AH, It’s A Love Song”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build