Carly Rae Jepsen And Owl City To Pay $800K For ‘Good Time’ Plagiarism [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | January 31, 2014 8:40 PM EST
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City’s “Good Time” is a rip-off of a lesser known track, “AH, It’s A Love Song,” a court has ruled. Singer Ally Burnett claimed in a lawsuit she filed in 2012 that the “Call Me Maybe” hitmaker and Adam Young of Owl City plagiarised her song.
However, Jepsen, Young, and several publishing companies shouldn’t have attained success with the song, according to Burnett, because it was a rip-off of her own tune, which she released in 2010.
The Alabama-based singer/songwriter declared in the copyright infringement lawsuit she filed in California that Young, Matt Thiessen, and Brian Lee copied a prominent motif of her song to compose “Good Time.”
The complaint stated that “Good Time” contained identical pitch sequence, melodic contour, rhythmic construction, and timbre as Burnett’s “AH, It’s A Love Song.”
“Many consumers may incorrectly assume that Burnett copied her own Original Motif from the Infringing Songwriters due to the widespread popularity and publication of ‘Good Time,’” the lawsuit read. “Burnett’s reputation as an independent artist will be significantly damaged by such incorrect assumptions.”
And as a result of the theft, Burnett has “suffered emotional and psychological damage.”
She proved to be successful in her suit two years later.
As TMZ reported, a judge ruled in Burnett’s favour on Thursday, declaring Jepsen and Young’s “Good Time” a blatant rip-off of “AH, It’s A Love Song.”
The judge ordered BMI, the company that collects royalties for the song, to pay the independent artist $804,156.
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City, “Good Time”
Ally Burnett, “AH, It’s A Love Song”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales