Carly Rae Jepsen And Owl City To Pay $800K For ‘Good Time’ Plagiarism [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | January 31, 2014 8:40 PM EST
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City’s “Good Time” is a rip-off of a lesser known track, “AH, It’s A Love Song,” a court has ruled. Singer Ally Burnett claimed in a lawsuit she filed in 2012 that the “Call Me Maybe” hitmaker and Adam Young of Owl City plagiarised her song.
However, Jepsen, Young, and several publishing companies shouldn’t have attained success with the song, according to Burnett, because it was a rip-off of her own tune, which she released in 2010.
The Alabama-based singer/songwriter declared in the copyright infringement lawsuit she filed in California that Young, Matt Thiessen, and Brian Lee copied a prominent motif of her song to compose “Good Time.”
The complaint stated that “Good Time” contained identical pitch sequence, melodic contour, rhythmic construction, and timbre as Burnett’s “AH, It’s A Love Song.”
“Many consumers may incorrectly assume that Burnett copied her own Original Motif from the Infringing Songwriters due to the widespread popularity and publication of ‘Good Time,’” the lawsuit read. “Burnett’s reputation as an independent artist will be significantly damaged by such incorrect assumptions.”
And as a result of the theft, Burnett has “suffered emotional and psychological damage.”
She proved to be successful in her suit two years later.
As TMZ reported, a judge ruled in Burnett’s favour on Thursday, declaring Jepsen and Young’s “Good Time” a blatant rip-off of “AH, It’s A Love Song.”
The judge ordered BMI, the company that collects royalties for the song, to pay the independent artist $804,156.
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City, “Good Time”
Ally Burnett, “AH, It’s A Love Song”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6