US Laws to Help Amanda Knox Avoid Jail Time?
By Keerthi Mohan | January 31, 2014 7:33 PM EST
American student Amanda Knox was found guilty by an Italian court on Thursday for murdering Meredith Kercher, her flatmate, in 2007.
While Knox, 26, is said to be "frightened and saddened” by the verdict, it is doubtful Italy would immediately seek her extradition before the verdict is final, reports said, citing legal experts. In Italy, a confirmation by a higher court is required for a verdict to be final.
U.S. officials might also deny the request for an extradition as U.S.’s double jeopardy laws prohibit an individual from being tried twice for the same offense, believes Los Angeles attorney Mychal Wilson.
“Under the Fifth Amendment of U.S. Constitution, and known as Double Jeopardy clause, a person cannot be tried on the same charges following a legitimate acquittal or conviction. Accordingly, the U.S. will most certainly deny any extradition request of Knox by Italy under the 2010 Bilateral Treaty,” Wilson told HollywoodLife.com.
But if Italy issues an international arrest warrant, Knox could be a prisoner in her own country, as Italy has extradition treaties with most countries, he added.
“So, if the Italian high court affirms her conviction, then Amanda Knox is basically a prisoner in her own country which is not so bad considering the alternative” Wilson said.
In the meantime, Twitter is divided on Knox.
“If the US don't hand over Amanda Knox then they may aswell just tear up all extradition treaties they hold in the world,” one tweet read.
“The word GUILTY will appear next to Amanda Knox's face a million times today alone. Doesn't make it true,” another added, expressing displeasure at the Knox’s guilty verdict.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery