Google Considers Nexus 5 a Winner, Red Google Nexus 5s Leaked, Images, Specs and February 4 Release
By Precious Silva | January 31, 2014 6:59 PM EST
Reports about Google planning to remove its Nexus line started circulating recently. However, Google took the liberty to address the situation stating otherwise. If people will look at the company's comments, they would be a good indication that the program will continue for the years to come. In a conference call regarding the fourth quarter earnings report of the company, Google CFO Patrick Pichette called the Nexus 5 as a winner. According to the CFO, the device has performed strongly for the company.
Hugo Barra, director of Product Management at Android, holds a new Nexus 7 tablet during a Google event at Dogpatch Studio in San Francisco, California, July 24, 2013.
Pichette remained tight lipped how many units of Nexus 5 it was able to sell. According to reports, Chromecast and Google Nexus 5 were the two best selling products all quarter. The CFO noted that the company is very pleased about its sales. According to him: "We had great momentum on the Nexus 5 and Chromecast."
Other strong revenue drivers for Google include content and apps accessed through Google Play Store. While Google is also offering a number of Chromebooks under the Google Play Store, the CFO said that majority of the company's sales were through third parties. Google 's Chromebooks sold well on platforms like Best Buy and Amazon.
The Nexus program mainly served as Google's guide for other manufacturers on how to develop devices for the company's software. It was in 2012 when the company started using the program to develop accessible high-end devices. Google has also seen to it the prices remain affordable despite the premium features. It was a winning combination as the company has sold millions of units for its Nexus line.
With the success of the Nexus 5, it appears Google will be investing more on the program. Recent reports highlight a tweet revealing a red Nexus 5. According to a report by Android Central, a Twitter user named @artyomster, revealed a number of pics showing a possible red Nexus 5. The box on the photo has also listed the color. While the leaked images appear rough, they have gained enough interest over the internet. Android Central also reported that the device may be announced officially on February. People will have to stay tuned for further announcements from Google.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft