Patriots, Cardinals Secretly Talking on Larry Fitzgerald Trade: NFL News & Update
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 31, 2014 5:56 PM EST
The New England Patriots are reportedly working on a trade that would give them Pro-Bowl and All-Pro wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, a source close to situation reported this week.
The Patriots are looking to revamp their roster after failing to book their spot in the Super Bowl this season. Pats' quarterback Tom Brady has been throwing a lot of his passes to his tight ends for the past three years, and the departure of Wes Welker certainly decreased his potent targets for 2014.
NFL: New England Patriots at Carolina Panthers
According to latest trade rumours, the Patriots are interested to get Fitzgerald via trade. Fitzgerald has been one of the most consistent wide receivers in the NFL, and his arrival in Foxborough would certainly help the Pats become a Super Bowl contender for next season.
Despite the Arizona Cardinals' denial in trade negotiation involving their premier wideout, many NFL writers are convinced this trade would eventually happen if the Pats will place attracting assets on the table.
"The New England Patriots need help at wide receiver and that will remain a focus heading into this offseason. Their need for targets prompted a report on Tuesday stating that the Patriots thought that they would be able to secure Larry Fitzgerald in a trade with the Cardinals last offseason, but those reports were refuted on Wednesday," reported Sports Illustrated Fan Sided.
According to reliable league source, the Pats indeed engaged in some talks with the Cardinals regarding the availability of Fitzgerald, though discussions remain in-house for now.
"It's certainly conceivable the Patriots have had internal discussions about Fitzgerald, but any potential interest has remained in-house. The Patriots have never entered any real negotiations with the Cardinals for Fitzgerald -- this year, last year, any year -- according to a source," said Boston Herald.
Sports Illustrated Fan Sided reporter Josh Hill believes the trade for Fitzgerald really makes sense, though the franchise has failed to handle their plans behind closed doors.
"This makes sense, since had a marquee team like the Patriots inquired about trading for a high profile player like Fitzgerald, word would have gotten out almost immediately. The fact that we're hearing about this a year after that goes to show just how far any sort of talks went," said Sports Illustrated.
For more NFL Trade News & Rumours, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon