Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 1/31/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 31, 2014 4:58 PM EST
The Australian share market finished slightly higher today, but still lost ground over the week as investors around the globe remained concerned about emerging markets.
Daniel Munoz / Reuters
Office workers are reflected on a screen display as they walk past the Australian Securities Exchange in this file photo
The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) added 5.7 points to 5205 on Friday.
Over the course of the month, the market fell 2.8 per cent - the worst start to a calendar year since January 2010 when the market fell 6 per cent.
In company news, David Jones (DJS) was a standout, rising 4.2 per cent to $2.99 after the upmarket retailer confirmed it had rejected a merger approach from rival Myer Limited (MYR). MYR shares fell 1.6 percent today to $2.53. MYR told the ASX the merger would have maximised the value of DJS property assets and generated $85 million of costs savings.
In economic news, private sector credit (lending) rose by 0.5 per cent in December after a 0.3 per cent lift in November. Annual credit growth rose from 3.8 to 3.9 per cent. Housing credit is up 5.4 per cent on a year ago, the strongest annual growth in two years. Business and consumer credit recorded a healthy lift.
Bank term deposits fell by 0.6 per cent in the year to December, marking the first fall in over a decade (March 2003).
The broad measure of business inflation, the producer price index (PPI), or final stage prices, rose by a subdued 0.2 per cent in the December quarter to stand 1.9 per cent higher than a year ago
On the market overall, a total of 2.2 billion shares changed hands, worth $5.5 billion. 494 closed higher, 410 lower and 390 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5143, up 5 points.
Ahead tonight, consumer sentiment, personal spending, employment costs and the Chicago purchasing managers index are due for release in the US.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown