Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 1/31/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 31, 2014 4:58 PM EST
The Australian share market finished slightly higher today, but still lost ground over the week as investors around the globe remained concerned about emerging markets.
Daniel Munoz / Reuters
Office workers are reflected on a screen display as they walk past the Australian Securities Exchange in this file photo
The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) added 5.7 points to 5205 on Friday.
Over the course of the month, the market fell 2.8 per cent - the worst start to a calendar year since January 2010 when the market fell 6 per cent.
In company news, David Jones (DJS) was a standout, rising 4.2 per cent to $2.99 after the upmarket retailer confirmed it had rejected a merger approach from rival Myer Limited (MYR). MYR shares fell 1.6 percent today to $2.53. MYR told the ASX the merger would have maximised the value of DJS property assets and generated $85 million of costs savings.
In economic news, private sector credit (lending) rose by 0.5 per cent in December after a 0.3 per cent lift in November. Annual credit growth rose from 3.8 to 3.9 per cent. Housing credit is up 5.4 per cent on a year ago, the strongest annual growth in two years. Business and consumer credit recorded a healthy lift.
Bank term deposits fell by 0.6 per cent in the year to December, marking the first fall in over a decade (March 2003).
The broad measure of business inflation, the producer price index (PPI), or final stage prices, rose by a subdued 0.2 per cent in the December quarter to stand 1.9 per cent higher than a year ago
On the market overall, a total of 2.2 billion shares changed hands, worth $5.5 billion. 494 closed higher, 410 lower and 390 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5143, up 5 points.
Ahead tonight, consumer sentiment, personal spending, employment costs and the Chicago purchasing managers index are due for release in the US.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How