Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 1/31/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 31, 2014 4:58 PM EST
The Australian share market finished slightly higher today, but still lost ground over the week as investors around the globe remained concerned about emerging markets.
Daniel Munoz / Reuters
Office workers are reflected on a screen display as they walk past the Australian Securities Exchange in this file photo
The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) added 5.7 points to 5205 on Friday.
Over the course of the month, the market fell 2.8 per cent - the worst start to a calendar year since January 2010 when the market fell 6 per cent.
In company news, David Jones (DJS) was a standout, rising 4.2 per cent to $2.99 after the upmarket retailer confirmed it had rejected a merger approach from rival Myer Limited (MYR). MYR shares fell 1.6 percent today to $2.53. MYR told the ASX the merger would have maximised the value of DJS property assets and generated $85 million of costs savings.
In economic news, private sector credit (lending) rose by 0.5 per cent in December after a 0.3 per cent lift in November. Annual credit growth rose from 3.8 to 3.9 per cent. Housing credit is up 5.4 per cent on a year ago, the strongest annual growth in two years. Business and consumer credit recorded a healthy lift.
Bank term deposits fell by 0.6 per cent in the year to December, marking the first fall in over a decade (March 2003).
The broad measure of business inflation, the producer price index (PPI), or final stage prices, rose by a subdued 0.2 per cent in the December quarter to stand 1.9 per cent higher than a year ago
On the market overall, a total of 2.2 billion shares changed hands, worth $5.5 billion. 494 closed higher, 410 lower and 390 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5143, up 5 points.
Ahead tonight, consumer sentiment, personal spending, employment costs and the Chicago purchasing managers index are due for release in the US.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]