Jennifer Lawrence Damages 'American Hustle' Costumes With Dorito Stains
By Jesselle Maminta | January 31, 2014 4:27 PM EST
It's safe to say that Jennifer Lawrence is a hearty eater -- and a pretty careless one, at that.
During the discussion on awards-season fashion at Diane von Furstenberg's "Journey of a Dress" exhibit in Los Angeles, costume designer Michael Wilkinson shares the stories behind some of the costumes he curated for the film "American Hustle," which includes that iconic metallic white dress worn by Lawrence's character Rosalyn Rosenfeld.
But the highlight of Wilkinson's talk was the "Hunger Games" actress's rather clumsy ways, especially when eating while wearing the costume.
"Jennifer Lawrence is a very . . . let's say . . . raw and intuitive young lady, and she's not against eating Doritos and snack food in her costume," Wilkinson says. "So we were glad that we had a couple [backups]."
And it was easy to make backups for Lawrence's costume, because the fabric used for it costs only $3.99 per yard. According to Vanity Fair, director David O. Russell intended that Rosalyn's dress looked cheap, thus the choice for a cheap and stretchy fabric.
Wilkinson just confirmed what Lawrence has been doing during the filming of "American Hustle," as narrated to Harper's Bazaar UK.
"My bodyguard Gilbert, right before they call 'action,' I'm like, 'If there aren't Cheez-Its here by the time they call 'cut,' just go home,'" she recalls. "And he'll start running. It cracks me up how seriously he takes it."
Meanwhile, Wilkinson dishes more on the other wardrobe malfunction he encountered at Hustle, most notably Amy Adams' wine-stained DVF dress. According to him, that dress came from a vintage shop somewhere in the Midwest, and it arrived on set with a wine stain on it.
"We thought that we would come up with a back story to justify the stain," Wilkinson said. "Someone left the dress at the dry cleaner, they couldn't get the stain out."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Jessica Lange Says New Season ‘Most Extraordinary’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares