Jennifer Lawrence Damages 'American Hustle' Costumes With Dorito Stains
By Jesselle Maminta | January 31, 2014 4:27 PM EST
It's safe to say that Jennifer Lawrence is a hearty eater -- and a pretty careless one, at that.
During the discussion on awards-season fashion at Diane von Furstenberg's "Journey of a Dress" exhibit in Los Angeles, costume designer Michael Wilkinson shares the stories behind some of the costumes he curated for the film "American Hustle," which includes that iconic metallic white dress worn by Lawrence's character Rosalyn Rosenfeld.
But the highlight of Wilkinson's talk was the "Hunger Games" actress's rather clumsy ways, especially when eating while wearing the costume.
"Jennifer Lawrence is a very . . . let's say . . . raw and intuitive young lady, and she's not against eating Doritos and snack food in her costume," Wilkinson says. "So we were glad that we had a couple [backups]."
And it was easy to make backups for Lawrence's costume, because the fabric used for it costs only $3.99 per yard. According to Vanity Fair, director David O. Russell intended that Rosalyn's dress looked cheap, thus the choice for a cheap and stretchy fabric.
Wilkinson just confirmed what Lawrence has been doing during the filming of "American Hustle," as narrated to Harper's Bazaar UK.
"My bodyguard Gilbert, right before they call 'action,' I'm like, 'If there aren't Cheez-Its here by the time they call 'cut,' just go home,'" she recalls. "And he'll start running. It cracks me up how seriously he takes it."
Meanwhile, Wilkinson dishes more on the other wardrobe malfunction he encountered at Hustle, most notably Amy Adams' wine-stained DVF dress. According to him, that dress came from a vintage shop somewhere in the Midwest, and it arrived on set with a wine stain on it.
"We thought that we would come up with a back story to justify the stain," Wilkinson said. "Someone left the dress at the dry cleaner, they couldn't get the stain out."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Elimination Recap: Redfoo’s Acts in the Bottom 2; Ed Sheeran, The Veronicas, AJR Guest Star [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes