Jennifer Lawrence Damages 'American Hustle' Costumes With Dorito Stains
By Jesselle Maminta | January 31, 2014 4:27 PM EST
It's safe to say that Jennifer Lawrence is a hearty eater -- and a pretty careless one, at that.
During the discussion on awards-season fashion at Diane von Furstenberg's "Journey of a Dress" exhibit in Los Angeles, costume designer Michael Wilkinson shares the stories behind some of the costumes he curated for the film "American Hustle," which includes that iconic metallic white dress worn by Lawrence's character Rosalyn Rosenfeld.
But the highlight of Wilkinson's talk was the "Hunger Games" actress's rather clumsy ways, especially when eating while wearing the costume.
"Jennifer Lawrence is a very . . . let's say . . . raw and intuitive young lady, and she's not against eating Doritos and snack food in her costume," Wilkinson says. "So we were glad that we had a couple [backups]."
And it was easy to make backups for Lawrence's costume, because the fabric used for it costs only $3.99 per yard. According to Vanity Fair, director David O. Russell intended that Rosalyn's dress looked cheap, thus the choice for a cheap and stretchy fabric.
Wilkinson just confirmed what Lawrence has been doing during the filming of "American Hustle," as narrated to Harper's Bazaar UK.
"My bodyguard Gilbert, right before they call 'action,' I'm like, 'If there aren't Cheez-Its here by the time they call 'cut,' just go home,'" she recalls. "And he'll start running. It cracks me up how seriously he takes it."
Meanwhile, Wilkinson dishes more on the other wardrobe malfunction he encountered at Hustle, most notably Amy Adams' wine-stained DVF dress. According to him, that dress came from a vintage shop somewhere in the Midwest, and it arrived on set with a wine stain on it.
"We thought that we would come up with a back story to justify the stain," Wilkinson said. "Someone left the dress at the dry cleaner, they couldn't get the stain out."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery