Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Closer Look: 11 Advantages And 10 Disadvantages You Need To Know
By Ryan Inoyori | January 31, 2014 3:31 PM EST
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact holds almost everything in one premium smartphone. Crafted with premium materials, it features a powerful camera and protected to resist dust and water. But it isn't perfect as buyers should look into the advantages and disadvantages of this device.
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Sony designed Xperia Z1 Compact to features almost everything found on other Xperia smartphones. It boasts LTE connectivity, scratch-resistance glass, dust and water resistances, powerful quad-core processor, huge RAM and Sony G lens camera.
Key Technical Specifications
- Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with Xperia Home launcher
- 2.26 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor
- 4.3-inches of screen display
- Adreno 330 graphics chipset unit
- 2 GB of RAM chipset
- 20.7 MP Sony G lens camera with Carl Zeiss optics
- 2 MP front-facing camera with 1080p video recording
- Dust and water resistances
- 16 GB internal storage with memory card support
- 2300 mAh battery pack
Xperia Z1 Compact is no small time smartphone even it is smaller than Z1 or Z Ultra. From display to multimedia capabilities, Z1 Compact is a portable smartphone for every day needs and wants.
1. Its 4.3 inches of screen display features 720p resolution and 342 pixel density empowered by Triluminos and X-Reality display engines. In addition, it is scratch-resistant and protected against dust or water with IP58 certification.
2. Camera usage can be instant using a dedicated button for quick snapshots from the lock screen.
3. Sony G lens with Carl Zeiss optics maximise camera functionality by providing enthusiasts and 'selfie' lovers of 1/2.3" Exmor RS sensor.
4. You can play more on the camera using several camera modes such as AR effects and Info-eye.
5. BIONZ image processing engine generate camera outputs.
6. Choose the best from several shots using TimeShift burst.
7. Built-in power manage features STAMINA mode, Location services and Low-battery mode to maximise battery life.
8. Wireless technology is usable for Sony products such as Smartwatch and Sony Attachable camera lenses.
9. Maximum entertainment from Sony using WALKMAN, Album and Movies and PlayStation.
10. Designed for business using specific apps, company interest securities, and IT resources.
11. You can charge it overnight without worrying due to Sony's non-removable battery technology.
You can do almost anything with Z1 Compact such as heavy Internet surfing, 3D gaming, business-related functions, live chats, social connections and wireless multimedia. However, some points have been considered downside on the device which hopefully will get improvements later on.
1. Sony decided to choose Android 4.3 Jelly Bean as default OS rather than Android 4.4 KitKat which supports Cloud Printing.
2. 2900 mAh battery pack maybe sufficient most of the times but you can't buy additional ones during travel for it is non-removable.
3. Handy but not designed for users with large fingers.
4. Sony products in the United States are only available through T-Mobile.
5. Packaging contain basic content. No microSD card or charger end adapter.
6. External speaker isn't so impressive.
7. LED notification isn't noticeable. Illumination bar would've been better.
8. Usual Sony soft keys included on the display screen.
9. Flap covers for certain ports may not be so convenient but you need them.
10. App drawer cannot hide app icons if you wish to.
In comparison with other smartphones with similar size, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact takes lead by having dust and water resistances that makes it usable in almost every outdoor events.
Also, even without Optical Image Stabilization on the camera, the large sensor and camera modes lessen noise problems. You can increase storage size if you want more beyond 16 GB as it supports up to 64 GB compared to Nexus, HTC One and iPhone 5S.
To contact the editor, e-mail: