Consumer Inflation to Ease in Next Two Months: Raghuram Rajan
January 31, 2014 2:55 PM EST
India's consumer inflation should ease in the next two months, and will fall to 8 percent by the end of the year, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan said in an interview with TV news channel CNN-IBN on Thursday.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan (Photo: Reuters)
The comments came after the RBI unexpectedly raised interest rates by a quarter percentage point on Tuesday, marking its third hike in five months.
The consumer price index eased to a three-month low of 9.87 percent in December. A central bank panel last week had recommended bringing down the retail inflation gauge to below 8 percent by January 2015.
"There is some disinflation in the system. What was 9.87 is going to come down further next month, and probably a little further into March," Rajan told CNN-IBN.
"We are setting rates at a level that we think is consistent with that disinflation for us to get some bite and for the inflation in the system to come down to about 8 percent at the end of the year."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter