Consumer Inflation to Ease in Next Two Months: Raghuram Rajan
January 31, 2014 2:55 PM EST
India's consumer inflation should ease in the next two months, and will fall to 8 percent by the end of the year, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan said in an interview with TV news channel CNN-IBN on Thursday.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan (Photo: Reuters)
The comments came after the RBI unexpectedly raised interest rates by a quarter percentage point on Tuesday, marking its third hike in five months.
The consumer price index eased to a three-month low of 9.87 percent in December. A central bank panel last week had recommended bringing down the retail inflation gauge to below 8 percent by January 2015.
"There is some disinflation in the system. What was 9.87 is going to come down further next month, and probably a little further into March," Rajan told CNN-IBN.
"We are setting rates at a level that we think is consistent with that disinflation for us to get some bite and for the inflation in the system to come down to about 8 percent at the end of the year."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers