Yahoo Says Detected Hacking Attempt on Email Accounts
January 31, 2014 2:49 PM EST
Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O) said it had detected a coordinated effort to gain unauthorized access to Yahoo Mail accounts using malicious computer software.
The FSB report found that cyber crime and online fraud costs UK businesses almost £785m a year (Reuters)
The company, which said there was no evidence that passwords or usernames had been obtained directly from its systems, said it had taken immediate action to protect affected users by prompting them to reset passwords.
"The information sought in the attack seems to be names and email addresses from the affected accounts' most recent sent emails," Yahoo also said in an announcement on its Tumblr site.
The list of usernames and passwords that were used to carry out the attack was likely collected from a compromised third-party database, Yahoo said.
The company said it had implemented additional measures to block attacks against its systems and was using second sign-in verification to allow users to re-secure their accounts. (link.reuters.com/zeg56v)
Company officials could not immediately be reached to identify the database from which the information had been taken.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2