Toyota Issues Stop-Sale Order on Autos from U.S., Canada over Flammable Seat Fabric Concerns, Possible Recall in the Offing
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 31, 2014 1:28 PM EST
Toyota is poised to recall six model units in North America over concerns the fabrics in those models' heated seats doesn't comply with safe flammability standards.
The models in question include the Camry, Avalon, Sienna and Tacoma models with heated seats from the 2013 and 2014 model years, as well as Corollas and Tundras from 2014.
It was the Korean Automotive Test and Research Institute, South Korea's safety agency, which found that the fabric backing material used in the seat heaters did not comply with U.S. vehicle flammability standards.
Although fortunately no fires or injuries have so far been reported from units already sold, John Hanson, Toyota spokesman, said the company cannot legally sell the cars.
Toyota has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about the cars. It had also issued a "stop-sale" order to its various dealers.
"The timing of this issue, and its impact on Toyota's most popular models, couldn't be much worse," Karl Brauer, a senior analyst with Kelley Blue Book, told Reuters. "Given that much of the U.S. is currently in the grips of a record cold snap, there's sure to be high demand for models with seat heaters."
"Toyota officials appear confident there is no risk and as a result they feel any hit to the company's reputation would be short-lived and less costly than a full recall," he added.
Mr Hanson cannot specify how long the repairs could take. "We don't think it will take long to get the parts and make the changes," he said. "I don't have any numbers on the timing."
He said the material that will be used as replacement is now being manufactured and is at the same time being installed at factories.
According to research firm Kelley Blue Book, the number of affected vehicles in the U.S. alone could reach 111,000 units.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble