Spotted! Lorde with her Controversial Boyfriend James Lowe in Auckland, Celebrating 'Royals' Grammy Win?
By nidhi tewari | January 31, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Fresh from her Grammy win, Lorde had a "royal" date with her boyfriend James Lowe in her hometown Auckland, New Zealand on Thursday. The two love birds were spotted roaming around casually on the streets and were later joined by Lorde's elder sister Katherine. "Royals" songstress was dressed casually in black pants, a black T-shirt, and huge black shoes. She hardly wore any make up and let her famous unruly hair open.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
Lorde's photographer boyfriend was spotted with a camera on one shoulder and matched Lorde's black obsession for colour. The couple's relationship has been a controversial topic of discussion for quite some time. James Lowe has been a victim of cyber bullying because of his Asian origin.
Critics also slammed Lorde, who is just 17-years-old, for choosing a boyfriend who is much older. The couple has seven-year age difference as Lowe is 24-year-old.
"[I'm] not completely impervious to insult. I'm a human being," Lorde, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O'Connor told Rolling Stone magazine in January.
However, Lorde's mother Sonja Yelich, who is an artist, is quite unaffected by the age difference between the two.
"I didn't say, 'Yeah, sure, go date a 24-year-old,'" her mom told Rolling Stone. "But her dad and I met James and we liked him. When Ella was much younger, her first boyfriend was older -- four years or something."
A successful person always has haters. Lorde won Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance for her hit song "Royals" at the 2014 Grammy Awards. Critics were also sceptical about Lorde's real age and wondered if she was really 17. Media also went to great lengths to dig out her birth certificate only to confirm she is right about her age! The way she dresses up and carries herself maturely also gives her a lot of negative comments from various gossip website.
"The way I dress and carry myself, a lot of people find it strange or intimidating. I think my whole career can be boiled down to the one word I always say in meetings: strength," Lorde said in Rolling Stone magazine interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate