Spotted! Lorde with her Controversial Boyfriend James Lowe in Auckland, Celebrating 'Royals' Grammy Win?
By nidhi tewari | January 31, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Fresh from her Grammy win, Lorde had a "royal" date with her boyfriend James Lowe in her hometown Auckland, New Zealand on Thursday. The two love birds were spotted roaming around casually on the streets and were later joined by Lorde's elder sister Katherine. "Royals" songstress was dressed casually in black pants, a black T-shirt, and huge black shoes. She hardly wore any make up and let her famous unruly hair open.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
Lorde's photographer boyfriend was spotted with a camera on one shoulder and matched Lorde's black obsession for colour. The couple's relationship has been a controversial topic of discussion for quite some time. James Lowe has been a victim of cyber bullying because of his Asian origin.
Critics also slammed Lorde, who is just 17-years-old, for choosing a boyfriend who is much older. The couple has seven-year age difference as Lowe is 24-year-old.
"[I'm] not completely impervious to insult. I'm a human being," Lorde, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O'Connor told Rolling Stone magazine in January.
However, Lorde's mother Sonja Yelich, who is an artist, is quite unaffected by the age difference between the two.
"I didn't say, 'Yeah, sure, go date a 24-year-old,'" her mom told Rolling Stone. "But her dad and I met James and we liked him. When Ella was much younger, her first boyfriend was older -- four years or something."
A successful person always has haters. Lorde won Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance for her hit song "Royals" at the 2014 Grammy Awards. Critics were also sceptical about Lorde's real age and wondered if she was really 17. Media also went to great lengths to dig out her birth certificate only to confirm she is right about her age! The way she dresses up and carries herself maturely also gives her a lot of negative comments from various gossip website.
"The way I dress and carry myself, a lot of people find it strange or intimidating. I think my whole career can be boiled down to the one word I always say in meetings: strength," Lorde said in Rolling Stone magazine interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar