Spotted! Lorde with her Controversial Boyfriend James Lowe in Auckland, Celebrating 'Royals' Grammy Win?
By nidhi tewari | January 31, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Fresh from her Grammy win, Lorde had a "royal" date with her boyfriend James Lowe in her hometown Auckland, New Zealand on Thursday. The two love birds were spotted roaming around casually on the streets and were later joined by Lorde's elder sister Katherine. "Royals" songstress was dressed casually in black pants, a black T-shirt, and huge black shoes. She hardly wore any make up and let her famous unruly hair open.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
Lorde's photographer boyfriend was spotted with a camera on one shoulder and matched Lorde's black obsession for colour. The couple's relationship has been a controversial topic of discussion for quite some time. James Lowe has been a victim of cyber bullying because of his Asian origin.
Critics also slammed Lorde, who is just 17-years-old, for choosing a boyfriend who is much older. The couple has seven-year age difference as Lowe is 24-year-old.
"[I'm] not completely impervious to insult. I'm a human being," Lorde, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O'Connor told Rolling Stone magazine in January.
However, Lorde's mother Sonja Yelich, who is an artist, is quite unaffected by the age difference between the two.
"I didn't say, 'Yeah, sure, go date a 24-year-old,'" her mom told Rolling Stone. "But her dad and I met James and we liked him. When Ella was much younger, her first boyfriend was older -- four years or something."
A successful person always has haters. Lorde won Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance for her hit song "Royals" at the 2014 Grammy Awards. Critics were also sceptical about Lorde's real age and wondered if she was really 17. Media also went to great lengths to dig out her birth certificate only to confirm she is right about her age! The way she dresses up and carries herself maturely also gives her a lot of negative comments from various gossip website.
"The way I dress and carry myself, a lot of people find it strange or intimidating. I think my whole career can be boiled down to the one word I always say in meetings: strength," Lorde said in Rolling Stone magazine interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage