Spotted! Lorde with her Controversial Boyfriend James Lowe in Auckland, Celebrating 'Royals' Grammy Win?
By nidhi tewari | January 31, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Fresh from her Grammy win, Lorde had a "royal" date with her boyfriend James Lowe in her hometown Auckland, New Zealand on Thursday. The two love birds were spotted roaming around casually on the streets and were later joined by Lorde's elder sister Katherine. "Royals" songstress was dressed casually in black pants, a black T-shirt, and huge black shoes. She hardly wore any make up and let her famous unruly hair open.
Pop singer Lorde poses backstage with her awards for song of the year for "Royals" and best pop solo performance for "Royals" at the 56th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California January 26, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
Lorde's photographer boyfriend was spotted with a camera on one shoulder and matched Lorde's black obsession for colour. The couple's relationship has been a controversial topic of discussion for quite some time. James Lowe has been a victim of cyber bullying because of his Asian origin.
Critics also slammed Lorde, who is just 17-years-old, for choosing a boyfriend who is much older. The couple has seven-year age difference as Lowe is 24-year-old.
"[I'm] not completely impervious to insult. I'm a human being," Lorde, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O'Connor told Rolling Stone magazine in January.
However, Lorde's mother Sonja Yelich, who is an artist, is quite unaffected by the age difference between the two.
"I didn't say, 'Yeah, sure, go date a 24-year-old,'" her mom told Rolling Stone. "But her dad and I met James and we liked him. When Ella was much younger, her first boyfriend was older -- four years or something."
A successful person always has haters. Lorde won Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance for her hit song "Royals" at the 2014 Grammy Awards. Critics were also sceptical about Lorde's real age and wondered if she was really 17. Media also went to great lengths to dig out her birth certificate only to confirm she is right about her age! The way she dresses up and carries herself maturely also gives her a lot of negative comments from various gossip website.
"The way I dress and carry myself, a lot of people find it strange or intimidating. I think my whole career can be boiled down to the one word I always say in meetings: strength," Lorde said in Rolling Stone magazine interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef