'The Broken Shore' to Reveal Shocking Face Behind an Aussie Community’s Respectable Mask [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | January 31, 2014 1:02 PM EST
The much anticipated tele-miniseries, "The Broken Shore," is set to premiere this Sunday on ABC1. Based on Peter Temple's novel of the same name, this new crime-thriller is said to be the story of murder, corruption and conspiracy. According to ABC, it is set against a "background of police corruption, racism and family tragedy."
"The Broken Shore" features a stellar cast. Don Hany is playing the principal role of Detective Joe Cashin. Hany describes his character as a "recovering detective" who was involved in a "pretty nasty accident" at work.
In an interview to TV Tonight, the actor said that Cashin was hit by a car when he was staking-out a criminal. As a result, he had to undergo a year and a half of rehab. Hany said: "His boss Stephen Villani has posted him to a country town called Port Monro which neighbours a town called Cromarty."
According to ABC's description of "The Broken Shore," Cashin returns to the place where he grew-up, the coastal village of Port Monro. He is not welcomed by everyone. The failed homicide raid in Melbourne has broken both his "body and spirit." Cashin's mother wants him to leave the place, fearing that "dark clouds" of his dad's death will consume him.
Helen Castleman is his new neighbour. The two have a history, as it is revealed that Helen had kissed Cashin, nearly thirty years ago. It seems Cashin puts up fences, barring Helen from entering his space. Helen accuses him of putting up illegal fences. As a result of that, "desire and attraction are laced with hostility."
Charles Bourgoyne, a philanthropist, is beaten-up and robbed at his home. Cashin investigates this criminal act and discovers a cycle of "lies, betrayal and systematic corruption in a community where tensions over race, class and politics are at boiling point."
The shooting of "The Broken Shore" has taken place mainly in South-Western Victoria. Andrew Knight has worked on the adaption, while Rowan Woods has directed "The Broken Shore." Essential Media has produced it.
In addition to Hany, other actors who are part of this new show include Claudia Karvan, Anthony Hayes, Catherine McClements, Erik Thomson, Tony Briggs, Dan Wyllie, Robyn Nevin, Meyne Wyatt, Dan Hamill, Bruce R Carter, Wayne Blair and Jim Russell.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Nov. 26, 2014, The Forrester Mansion Is All Decked Out For Thanksgiving With Family And Friends [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid