Canada Woman Strangled to Death as Her Scarf Got Stuck in Metro Escalator
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 31, 2014 12:05 PM EST
A woman in Canada was killed after the scarf she was wearing got caught in a metro station in Montreal.
It all happened at the Fabre Metro station in Montreal at around 9:15 in the morning on Thursday Jan. 30. The entrance of the metro station, which had automatic operative system, was allegedly unsupervised; CBC reported. According to Constable Jean-Pierre Brabant of the Montreal police, the woman was strangled to death. The woman, aged about 30, passed away on the spot.
One of the witnesses of the death informed investigators that it was not only the scarf of the woman that might have turned fatal as her hair too got caught in the escalator. It happened when she tried dislodging her scarf from the escalator by bending down. When paramedics and fire-fighters investigated, it was found that the woman died of cardiac arrest. According to Urgences Santé, even though the woman appeared to be in her thirties, she could also be in her forties as well. BBC reported that the woman was aged 48 when she passed away. However, the woman is yet to be identified.
The incident was reported by a transit user who witnessed the woman getting strangled at the bottom of the escalator. The user called 911 to inform the emergency services of the metro. By the time the emergency services responded and reached the scene, the woman was already dead, The Globe and Mail reported.
Montreal police are going to work with the coroner's office in order to determine what exactly happened during the mishap. They are also going to review CCTV footages and talk with witnesses to come to a specific judgement.
According to CTV Montreal, Robert Lamle of Urgences Sante said that he could recall several accidents in the escalators in the metro during his career. However, he had never seen such an accident, he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko