Canada Woman Strangled to Death as Her Scarf Got Stuck in Metro Escalator
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 31, 2014 12:05 PM EST
A woman in Canada was killed after the scarf she was wearing got caught in a metro station in Montreal.
It all happened at the Fabre Metro station in Montreal at around 9:15 in the morning on Thursday Jan. 30. The entrance of the metro station, which had automatic operative system, was allegedly unsupervised; CBC reported. According to Constable Jean-Pierre Brabant of the Montreal police, the woman was strangled to death. The woman, aged about 30, passed away on the spot.
One of the witnesses of the death informed investigators that it was not only the scarf of the woman that might have turned fatal as her hair too got caught in the escalator. It happened when she tried dislodging her scarf from the escalator by bending down. When paramedics and fire-fighters investigated, it was found that the woman died of cardiac arrest. According to Urgences Santé, even though the woman appeared to be in her thirties, she could also be in her forties as well. BBC reported that the woman was aged 48 when she passed away. However, the woman is yet to be identified.
The incident was reported by a transit user who witnessed the woman getting strangled at the bottom of the escalator. The user called 911 to inform the emergency services of the metro. By the time the emergency services responded and reached the scene, the woman was already dead, The Globe and Mail reported.
Montreal police are going to work with the coroner's office in order to determine what exactly happened during the mishap. They are also going to review CCTV footages and talk with witnesses to come to a specific judgement.
According to CTV Montreal, Robert Lamle of Urgences Sante said that he could recall several accidents in the escalators in the metro during his career. However, he had never seen such an accident, he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More