Amir Khan Will Give Floyd Mayweather his First Defeat Says Freddie Roach
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 31, 2014 11:11 AM EST
Freddie Roach is certain that Amir Khan has got what it takes to give Floyd Mayweather a taste of defeat for the very first time.
A money-spinning bout between Floyd Mayweather and Amir Khan is seemingly close to being a done deal, the Mirror reported. The publication reports that Mayweather is ready to sign the fight contract that Khan has allegedly signed before. It looks like the British boxer will finally have a shot at Mayweather's unbeaten record. Will Khan really upset Mayweather? Roach thinks he can.
Roach made an appearance to Sky Sports' RingsideToe 2 Toe Podcast and he said that Khan can definitely give Mayweather problems. "That's not an easy fight," said Roach. He went on and said that if Khan fights the correct fight, he can really shudder Mayweather. "I've always said Amir has the right style to beat Floyd if he fights correctly and doesn't stay in the pocket too long," Roach added.
The Hall of Fame trainer has high expectations that Khan's hand speed can upset the undefeated fighter. "I always thought he could beat him with his speed," said Roach. "I think he's faster than Mayweather and that's what it takes to beat him," he said. "Floyd might have his hands full on the night," Roach concluded.
Khan appointed Roach as coach following his defeat against Breidis Prescott in 2008. He even used to spar with Manny Pacquiao, who as we all know is one of Roach's loyal pupils. Khan left Roach in 2012 and some say that Khan's decision to leave Roach was greatly influenced by the fact the he just wasn't able to train enough with him and have sufficient one-on-one sessions with the trainer.
Do you think Roach is being biased on saying that Khan has a good chance of beating the world's best pound-for-pound fighter? A lot of people think that a bout between Khan and Mayweather is a terrible mismatch. Nonetheless, it would indeed going to be a great shocker if Mayweather loses to Khan.
Mayweather is expected to announce his fight soon. Boxing fans will just have to wait for the official announcement if Khan really booked the fight he has been longing for so long against the unbeaten fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect