Amir Khan Will Give Floyd Mayweather his First Defeat Says Freddie Roach
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 31, 2014 11:11 AM EST
Freddie Roach is certain that Amir Khan has got what it takes to give Floyd Mayweather a taste of defeat for the very first time.
A money-spinning bout between Floyd Mayweather and Amir Khan is seemingly close to being a done deal, the Mirror reported. The publication reports that Mayweather is ready to sign the fight contract that Khan has allegedly signed before. It looks like the British boxer will finally have a shot at Mayweather's unbeaten record. Will Khan really upset Mayweather? Roach thinks he can.
Roach made an appearance to Sky Sports' RingsideToe 2 Toe Podcast and he said that Khan can definitely give Mayweather problems. "That's not an easy fight," said Roach. He went on and said that if Khan fights the correct fight, he can really shudder Mayweather. "I've always said Amir has the right style to beat Floyd if he fights correctly and doesn't stay in the pocket too long," Roach added.
The Hall of Fame trainer has high expectations that Khan's hand speed can upset the undefeated fighter. "I always thought he could beat him with his speed," said Roach. "I think he's faster than Mayweather and that's what it takes to beat him," he said. "Floyd might have his hands full on the night," Roach concluded.
Khan appointed Roach as coach following his defeat against Breidis Prescott in 2008. He even used to spar with Manny Pacquiao, who as we all know is one of Roach's loyal pupils. Khan left Roach in 2012 and some say that Khan's decision to leave Roach was greatly influenced by the fact the he just wasn't able to train enough with him and have sufficient one-on-one sessions with the trainer.
Do you think Roach is being biased on saying that Khan has a good chance of beating the world's best pound-for-pound fighter? A lot of people think that a bout between Khan and Mayweather is a terrible mismatch. Nonetheless, it would indeed going to be a great shocker if Mayweather loses to Khan.
Mayweather is expected to announce his fight soon. Boxing fans will just have to wait for the official announcement if Khan really booked the fight he has been longing for so long against the unbeaten fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen