Amir Khan Will Give Floyd Mayweather his First Defeat Says Freddie Roach
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 31, 2014 11:11 AM EST
Freddie Roach is certain that Amir Khan has got what it takes to give Floyd Mayweather a taste of defeat for the very first time.
A money-spinning bout between Floyd Mayweather and Amir Khan is seemingly close to being a done deal, the Mirror reported. The publication reports that Mayweather is ready to sign the fight contract that Khan has allegedly signed before. It looks like the British boxer will finally have a shot at Mayweather's unbeaten record. Will Khan really upset Mayweather? Roach thinks he can.
Roach made an appearance to Sky Sports' RingsideToe 2 Toe Podcast and he said that Khan can definitely give Mayweather problems. "That's not an easy fight," said Roach. He went on and said that if Khan fights the correct fight, he can really shudder Mayweather. "I've always said Amir has the right style to beat Floyd if he fights correctly and doesn't stay in the pocket too long," Roach added.
The Hall of Fame trainer has high expectations that Khan's hand speed can upset the undefeated fighter. "I always thought he could beat him with his speed," said Roach. "I think he's faster than Mayweather and that's what it takes to beat him," he said. "Floyd might have his hands full on the night," Roach concluded.
Khan appointed Roach as coach following his defeat against Breidis Prescott in 2008. He even used to spar with Manny Pacquiao, who as we all know is one of Roach's loyal pupils. Khan left Roach in 2012 and some say that Khan's decision to leave Roach was greatly influenced by the fact the he just wasn't able to train enough with him and have sufficient one-on-one sessions with the trainer.
Do you think Roach is being biased on saying that Khan has a good chance of beating the world's best pound-for-pound fighter? A lot of people think that a bout between Khan and Mayweather is a terrible mismatch. Nonetheless, it would indeed going to be a great shocker if Mayweather loses to Khan.
Mayweather is expected to announce his fight soon. Boxing fans will just have to wait for the official announcement if Khan really booked the fight he has been longing for so long against the unbeaten fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories