Amir Khan Will Give Floyd Mayweather his First Defeat Says Freddie Roach
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 31, 2014 11:11 AM EST
Freddie Roach is certain that Amir Khan has got what it takes to give Floyd Mayweather a taste of defeat for the very first time.
A money-spinning bout between Floyd Mayweather and Amir Khan is seemingly close to being a done deal, the Mirror reported. The publication reports that Mayweather is ready to sign the fight contract that Khan has allegedly signed before. It looks like the British boxer will finally have a shot at Mayweather's unbeaten record. Will Khan really upset Mayweather? Roach thinks he can.
Roach made an appearance to Sky Sports' RingsideToe 2 Toe Podcast and he said that Khan can definitely give Mayweather problems. "That's not an easy fight," said Roach. He went on and said that if Khan fights the correct fight, he can really shudder Mayweather. "I've always said Amir has the right style to beat Floyd if he fights correctly and doesn't stay in the pocket too long," Roach added.
The Hall of Fame trainer has high expectations that Khan's hand speed can upset the undefeated fighter. "I always thought he could beat him with his speed," said Roach. "I think he's faster than Mayweather and that's what it takes to beat him," he said. "Floyd might have his hands full on the night," Roach concluded.
Khan appointed Roach as coach following his defeat against Breidis Prescott in 2008. He even used to spar with Manny Pacquiao, who as we all know is one of Roach's loyal pupils. Khan left Roach in 2012 and some say that Khan's decision to leave Roach was greatly influenced by the fact the he just wasn't able to train enough with him and have sufficient one-on-one sessions with the trainer.
Do you think Roach is being biased on saying that Khan has a good chance of beating the world's best pound-for-pound fighter? A lot of people think that a bout between Khan and Mayweather is a terrible mismatch. Nonetheless, it would indeed going to be a great shocker if Mayweather loses to Khan.
Mayweather is expected to announce his fight soon. Boxing fans will just have to wait for the official announcement if Khan really booked the fight he has been longing for so long against the unbeaten fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga