Amir Khan Will Give Floyd Mayweather his First Defeat Says Freddie Roach
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 31, 2014 11:11 AM EST
Freddie Roach is certain that Amir Khan has got what it takes to give Floyd Mayweather a taste of defeat for the very first time.
A money-spinning bout between Floyd Mayweather and Amir Khan is seemingly close to being a done deal, the Mirror reported. The publication reports that Mayweather is ready to sign the fight contract that Khan has allegedly signed before. It looks like the British boxer will finally have a shot at Mayweather's unbeaten record. Will Khan really upset Mayweather? Roach thinks he can.
Roach made an appearance to Sky Sports' RingsideToe 2 Toe Podcast and he said that Khan can definitely give Mayweather problems. "That's not an easy fight," said Roach. He went on and said that if Khan fights the correct fight, he can really shudder Mayweather. "I've always said Amir has the right style to beat Floyd if he fights correctly and doesn't stay in the pocket too long," Roach added.
The Hall of Fame trainer has high expectations that Khan's hand speed can upset the undefeated fighter. "I always thought he could beat him with his speed," said Roach. "I think he's faster than Mayweather and that's what it takes to beat him," he said. "Floyd might have his hands full on the night," Roach concluded.
Khan appointed Roach as coach following his defeat against Breidis Prescott in 2008. He even used to spar with Manny Pacquiao, who as we all know is one of Roach's loyal pupils. Khan left Roach in 2012 and some say that Khan's decision to leave Roach was greatly influenced by the fact the he just wasn't able to train enough with him and have sufficient one-on-one sessions with the trainer.
Do you think Roach is being biased on saying that Khan has a good chance of beating the world's best pound-for-pound fighter? A lot of people think that a bout between Khan and Mayweather is a terrible mismatch. Nonetheless, it would indeed going to be a great shocker if Mayweather loses to Khan.
Mayweather is expected to announce his fight soon. Boxing fans will just have to wait for the official announcement if Khan really booked the fight he has been longing for so long against the unbeaten fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon