Study Links Infidelity to Large Testicles
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2014 10:18 AM EST
One vital part of the male reproductive system is linked with the word "courage." Thus, when a man is brave and would stand by his convictions despite the consequences, he is said to have "balls" which is also called nuts or family jewels.
However, a new study links the testicles with a more negative connotation - infidelity, at least among primates.
The research led by Peter Bockman of the University of Oslo found that female primates are faithful to their partners if the male has large testicles.
Mr Bockman explained, quoted by Mail Online, "If the male will only fertilise one female and has no competitors, he only needs sufficient sperms to reach the egg ... If the female mates on the side, it is smart to have as many cars as possible in the race."
"Then, the male must have testicles that are as large as possible. In gorilla troops there is only one male," he added.
But he noted that gorillas actually have no need for large testicles because its balls are small. However, one primate species, the Bonobos, have huge testicles, resulting in an abundant flow of semen and the animal mating with everybody.
But grasshoppers and other animals with short lifespans, they have unusually large testicles, according to the researchers. Among grasshoppers, the balls occupy half of their body mass, while among sea urchins, it is considered as a sea creature with a huge testicle and a little shell around it.
Mr Brockman said since the human testicles are one and a half times bigger than gorillas, it is an indicator that humans are unfaithful by nature. He added that having very large balls could be a disadvantage because it increases the risk of testicular cancer.
YouTube/Vaginal Surgery 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop