Rent-a-Boyfriend for 1 Day Solves Problem of Single Chinese Women Who Need Date for New Year Family Gatherings
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2014 9:48 AM EST
Chinese New Year 2012: Chinese Americans take part in a Chinese New Year celebration in New York's Chinatown January 23,
As the younger-generation Chinese have adopted western values, more emphasis is placed in having careers than raising families. This has caused a gap between the older and younger generations, felt most during family reunions when the inevitable question of marriage for single family members crop up.
One good example is that of a Chinese mother who placed a full page ad in an Australian newspaper, asking her son to come home for the New Year celebration. She also promised not to nag him anymore.
The advert, quoted by CNN, reads: "Dear Peng, I've called you many times but you don't pick up, maybe you will see this. Dad and mom won't ever force you to get married anymore, come home for Chinese New Year! From your mom who loves you."
Based on the rate card of the Chinese Melbourne Daily where the advert came out on its front page on Tuesday, the Chinese mum shelled A$2,796.80 to send her message to her son.
Although many Chinese overseas save money to come home for the New Year festivities, many of the younger ones like Peng are hesitant because of family pressure or confrontations over their love life.
Singles asking for advice on this situation is quite common in online Chinese forum Tianya.cn when holidays approach.
A Guangzhou user asked how to explain to his family that he is unattached and has no love life. One user advised him not to go home for the New Year holidays, otherwise his parents will force him to go on a blind date or risk being scolded.
Another user recounted his mum give him an ultimatum to bring home 50,000 yuan and a wife as well, or don't come home for the holidays.
To solve the problem of single Chinese ladies, online shopping giant Taobao.com has offered rent-a-boyfriend for one day services. The users of the service appear satisfied, with one commenting that her parents were happy with her pretend boyfriend because he was nice, funny, knows how to cook and a gentleman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast