Pope Francis Lives Up to Name Taken From Patron Saint of Animals, Lets Talking Parrot Land on His Fingers
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2014 9:38 AM EST
From a used car to a Harley Davidson motorcycle, the very charismatic and lovable Pope Francis continues to be spoilt by the Catholic faithful with various gifts to show their love and admiration for the pontiff.
The latest gift offered to him on Wednesday was a talking parrot named Amore from man named Francesco Lombardi. The bird landed on his finger for a few seconds and mimicked the crowd with the word "Papa" which the papal audience was chanting.
The incident showed that Francis draws animals, including winged creatures, to his kind nature, similar to his namesake, St Francis of Assisi who is known as the patron saint of animals.
Click here for the photo of Pope Francis with Amore.
The offer of the bird happened with no untoward incident, unlike what happened on Sunday when two children beside him released two doves to symbolise peace. But the white doves were attacked by two angry birds, namely a seagull and a black crow.
The attack caused the doves to lose some feathers, but they eventually escaped from the claws of the predators. However, the incident was interpreted by some doomsday prophets as an omen of things to come because the release of the doves was preceded by a prayer of Pope Francis for peace in Ukraine.
As a result of the widely publicised attack on the symbols of peace, an animal rights group appealed to Pope Francis to stop the practice of releasing doves because the birds of peace are being sent to their deaths as they are unable to survive in the bird-eat-bird world.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- Porsche, Pope, Sistine Chapel and The Godfather
- Not In This Lifetime: Vatican Still Not Open To The Idea, Realities Of Gays
- ISIS Has New Enemy, Hunted Down by White Shroud Guerillas in Syria
- Vatican Hints Acceptance Of Homosexuals, Contraceptives, Divorce And Remarriage
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage