Gina Rinehart Adds Another $804M to Wealth, Is Still Australia’s Richest Person; 2nd Placer Is Cardboard Heir Anthony Pratt
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The latest edition of Forbes Magazine's Australia Rich List has 30 billionaires with iron ore magnate continue to leading them as she added another $804 million to her wealth for a total fortune of $20.3 billion in 2013.
However, a big surprise is the number two spot, now occupied by cardboard heir Anthony Pratt, dislodging gaming tycoon James Packer. Mr Pratt inherited the Visy packaging enterprise from his father, Richard Pratt, in 2009. Because of the 36 per cent growth in his family wealth, he jumped from number 7 to 2 as his and two sisters' net worth grew to $8 billion from $2.9 billion with the expansion of their business across Southeast Asia.
On third place is Mr Packer whose wealth actually grew 9 per cent or $689 million to $7.58 billion. Mr Packer, chairman of Crown Resorts, is likewise in an Asian expansion mode as he builds new casino resorts in Australia, Macau, the Philippines and Sri Lanka.
On fourth place is Glencore Xstrata Chief Executive Ivan Glasenberg with an estimated wealth of $7.2 billion, followed by Fortescue Metals Group founder Andrew Forrest with $5.7 billion.
The biggest loser appears to be miner turned MP Clive Palmer who plummeted to 50th place as his billions suffered a 40 per cent reduction to only $632 million due to the resources downturn.
But he remains Australia's richest MP. However, Mr Palmer said he never claimed to be wealthy despite occupying the 31st spot in 2013.
"It's not relevant. It goes to the content of your character as a person not to how much money you have in life," AAP quoted Mr Palmer, who has more than 100 companies under his name.
Here is last year's list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Shares Reach $100 Mark Since Stock Split; First Flagship Store in Middle East May Open Soon
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Anti-Virus Company Symantec to Switch to Subscription Service, Consolidates Norton Products
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists