Gina Rinehart Adds Another $804M to Wealth, Is Still Australia’s Richest Person; 2nd Placer Is Cardboard Heir Anthony Pratt
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The latest edition of Forbes Magazine's Australia Rich List has 30 billionaires with iron ore magnate continue to leading them as she added another $804 million to her wealth for a total fortune of $20.3 billion in 2013.
However, a big surprise is the number two spot, now occupied by cardboard heir Anthony Pratt, dislodging gaming tycoon James Packer. Mr Pratt inherited the Visy packaging enterprise from his father, Richard Pratt, in 2009. Because of the 36 per cent growth in his family wealth, he jumped from number 7 to 2 as his and two sisters' net worth grew to $8 billion from $2.9 billion with the expansion of their business across Southeast Asia.
On third place is Mr Packer whose wealth actually grew 9 per cent or $689 million to $7.58 billion. Mr Packer, chairman of Crown Resorts, is likewise in an Asian expansion mode as he builds new casino resorts in Australia, Macau, the Philippines and Sri Lanka.
On fourth place is Glencore Xstrata Chief Executive Ivan Glasenberg with an estimated wealth of $7.2 billion, followed by Fortescue Metals Group founder Andrew Forrest with $5.7 billion.
The biggest loser appears to be miner turned MP Clive Palmer who plummeted to 50th place as his billions suffered a 40 per cent reduction to only $632 million due to the resources downturn.
But he remains Australia's richest MP. However, Mr Palmer said he never claimed to be wealthy despite occupying the 31st spot in 2013.
"It's not relevant. It goes to the content of your character as a person not to how much money you have in life," AAP quoted Mr Palmer, who has more than 100 companies under his name.
Here is last year's list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar