Gina Rinehart Adds Another $804M to Wealth, Is Still Australia’s Richest Person; 2nd Placer Is Cardboard Heir Anthony Pratt
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The latest edition of Forbes Magazine's Australia Rich List has 30 billionaires with iron ore magnate continue to leading them as she added another $804 million to her wealth for a total fortune of $20.3 billion in 2013.
However, a big surprise is the number two spot, now occupied by cardboard heir Anthony Pratt, dislodging gaming tycoon James Packer. Mr Pratt inherited the Visy packaging enterprise from his father, Richard Pratt, in 2009. Because of the 36 per cent growth in his family wealth, he jumped from number 7 to 2 as his and two sisters' net worth grew to $8 billion from $2.9 billion with the expansion of their business across Southeast Asia.
On third place is Mr Packer whose wealth actually grew 9 per cent or $689 million to $7.58 billion. Mr Packer, chairman of Crown Resorts, is likewise in an Asian expansion mode as he builds new casino resorts in Australia, Macau, the Philippines and Sri Lanka.
On fourth place is Glencore Xstrata Chief Executive Ivan Glasenberg with an estimated wealth of $7.2 billion, followed by Fortescue Metals Group founder Andrew Forrest with $5.7 billion.
The biggest loser appears to be miner turned MP Clive Palmer who plummeted to 50th place as his billions suffered a 40 per cent reduction to only $632 million due to the resources downturn.
But he remains Australia's richest MP. However, Mr Palmer said he never claimed to be wealthy despite occupying the 31st spot in 2013.
"It's not relevant. It goes to the content of your character as a person not to how much money you have in life," AAP quoted Mr Palmer, who has more than 100 companies under his name.
Here is last year's list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More