Gina Rinehart Adds Another $804M to Wealth, Is Still Australia’s Richest Person; 2nd Placer Is Cardboard Heir Anthony Pratt
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 31, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The latest edition of Forbes Magazine's Australia Rich List has 30 billionaires with iron ore magnate continue to leading them as she added another $804 million to her wealth for a total fortune of $20.3 billion in 2013.
However, a big surprise is the number two spot, now occupied by cardboard heir Anthony Pratt, dislodging gaming tycoon James Packer. Mr Pratt inherited the Visy packaging enterprise from his father, Richard Pratt, in 2009. Because of the 36 per cent growth in his family wealth, he jumped from number 7 to 2 as his and two sisters' net worth grew to $8 billion from $2.9 billion with the expansion of their business across Southeast Asia.
On third place is Mr Packer whose wealth actually grew 9 per cent or $689 million to $7.58 billion. Mr Packer, chairman of Crown Resorts, is likewise in an Asian expansion mode as he builds new casino resorts in Australia, Macau, the Philippines and Sri Lanka.
On fourth place is Glencore Xstrata Chief Executive Ivan Glasenberg with an estimated wealth of $7.2 billion, followed by Fortescue Metals Group founder Andrew Forrest with $5.7 billion.
The biggest loser appears to be miner turned MP Clive Palmer who plummeted to 50th place as his billions suffered a 40 per cent reduction to only $632 million due to the resources downturn.
But he remains Australia's richest MP. However, Mr Palmer said he never claimed to be wealthy despite occupying the 31st spot in 2013.
"It's not relevant. It goes to the content of your character as a person not to how much money you have in life," AAP quoted Mr Palmer, who has more than 100 companies under his name.
Here is last year's list.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles