Chelsea FC Transfer News: Race to Sign French Defender Still On
By Mark Wayne Eubank | January 31, 2014 5:27 AM EST
Chelsea are still in the running to sign Saint-Etienne defender Kurt Zouma as the transfer deadline nears.
The Blues have been heavily linked with the promising centre-back, who has been reported to be a potential heir to captain John Terry's throne at the heart of Chelsea's defence.
Chelsea could still land St Etienne centre-back Kurt Zouma
The hindrance, as is the case with almost all transfers, is the fee demanded. Zouma was previously valued by at £11million, but his parent club are said to be willing to do business only when an offer exceeds £18million.
Saint-Etienne CEO Roland Romeyer remains firm that they will not let go of the promising 19-year-old unless their demands are met. Otherwise, suitor clubs might have to wait until the next window opens.
"Some clubs have launched a bid for the player, but we will not change our strategy," Romeyer told Le10Sport.
"There have been discussions for Zouma with English, Italian and French clubs, but he will not be leaving this month unless we find an agreement with some of the potential buyers."
"If not, he will have to wait until the summer. We are under no obligation to sell."
For more football news, follow IBTimes Football on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar