Similar to the international variants, Galaxy S2 Hercules ends up with its current OS version. But owners may upgrade the software by simply installing AOKP ROM manually to get all the latest features from Android KitKat.
Android 4.4.2 AOKP
AOKP or Android Open Kang Project is based on Google's own source code with added cool features not found on the stock ROM. In addition, custom ROM is the only way for Galaxy S2 to get the latest Android version available since Samsung decided to drop the device.
1. Lightweight system due to no bloatware apps
2. Cool features not found ever from the stock ROM by Samsung
3. Versatility and flexibility to change the way it looks
1. Use the AOKP custom ROM to an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S2 T-Mobile Hercules only.
2. Manually backup of all personal information, settings and data files stored on the smartphone.
3. Ensure the battery level is at least 50 percent to avoid power interruption during the installation.
4. Enable USB debugging mode on your Galaxy S2 Hercules. Go to Settings > Application > Development > USB debugging.
5. Download the necessary USB drivers for your device on the computer.
6. Root and install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod recovery on the handset.
7. Download the AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat and Google Apps package to your computer.
Warning: We are not responsible for any damages or errors that may occur on your Galaxy S2 Hercules. Read and follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging your handset. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy S2 Hercules to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste the appropriate firmware for your smartphone and Google Apps package to the microSD card. No need to extract the zip files.
3. Disconnect your Galaxy S2 Hercules from the computer.
4. Turn the smartphone off.
5. Reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding power + menu + volume up keys at the same time till the Samsung logo appears.
6. Inside the recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." In case you don't like the AOKP ROM, you can restore the previous ROM anytime.
7. Perform a full wipe on the Galaxy S2 Hercules. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition" then go to "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
8. Install the AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > look for the firmware you've pasted earlier > confirm installation." Apply the same with Google Apps package.
9. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
10. Wait for at least five minutes till the Galaxy S2 Hercules reaches the home screen since it is running the AOKP ROM for the first time.
Check the Android version by going to the Settings > About Phone > Android version.
For any issues or bugs, please send your feedback to Bug Tracker of RootzWiki official Web page.
To contact the editor, e-mail: