Apple Rumors: iPhone 6 May Feature Solar Charging Around Sapphire Glass, New Apple TV And More
By Vanessa Francisco | January 30, 2014 11:59 PM EST
According to a Seeking Alpha analyst, Apple is working on a technology that may lead to the 2014 iPhone covered in sapphire glass with small solar panels embedded in its cover. The tiny solar panels will help recharge the iPhone battery when exposed to a strong source of light.
The Cupertino-based company will also feature the technology in the new iPod Touch versions but amid persistent rumors that Apple will no longer launch the next gen iPod line whose sales have been continuously dropping through the years.
The analyst said Apple now holds a variety of patents for solar charging mobile device technology and has already signed an agreement with GT Advanced Technologies to develop its sapphire display covers late in 2013. The latest reports indicated Apple will release two iPhone versions with one having a screen bigger than 4.5-inches while the other one above 5-inches.
Meanwhile, Apple's top media streaming product, Apple TV already has its own page on Apple's online store. It was previously listed along with the company's iPod line. But now it has its own page titled, "Shop Apple TV" in the Web site's latest update.
The new page provides speculations that Apple is now preparing for a major hardware update for Apple TV. The recent rumors suggested Apple could also add gaming apps to Apple TV. There has been some buzz about Apple TV despite some speculations saying an Apple branded TV may be offered to the market soon.
Apple has considerable grown since Q1 of fiscal 2001 before it released the iPod and became more than a computer manufacturer. In the Q1 of fiscal 2001 ending Dec. 31, 2000, Apple reportedly lost $195 million on quarterly revenue of $1 billion.
In the Q1 of fiscal 2014, ending Dec. 31, 2013, Apple reportedly earned $13.1 billion on revenue of $57.6 billion. About 14 years ago, Apple shipped 659,000 Mac computers by December 2000. This year, Apple reported sales of 4.8 million Mac computers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- Sony Xperia Z3 Five Things Unveiled: 2 Metres Water-Resistance, Sprint US, Specifications, LTE Certification, Sports Sensor
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen