Apple Rumors: iPhone 6 May Feature Solar Charging Around Sapphire Glass, New Apple TV And More
By Vanessa Francisco | January 30, 2014 11:59 PM EST
According to a Seeking Alpha analyst, Apple is working on a technology that may lead to the 2014 iPhone covered in sapphire glass with small solar panels embedded in its cover. The tiny solar panels will help recharge the iPhone battery when exposed to a strong source of light.
The Cupertino-based company will also feature the technology in the new iPod Touch versions but amid persistent rumors that Apple will no longer launch the next gen iPod line whose sales have been continuously dropping through the years.
The analyst said Apple now holds a variety of patents for solar charging mobile device technology and has already signed an agreement with GT Advanced Technologies to develop its sapphire display covers late in 2013. The latest reports indicated Apple will release two iPhone versions with one having a screen bigger than 4.5-inches while the other one above 5-inches.
Meanwhile, Apple's top media streaming product, Apple TV already has its own page on Apple's online store. It was previously listed along with the company's iPod line. But now it has its own page titled, "Shop Apple TV" in the Web site's latest update.
The new page provides speculations that Apple is now preparing for a major hardware update for Apple TV. The recent rumors suggested Apple could also add gaming apps to Apple TV. There has been some buzz about Apple TV despite some speculations saying an Apple branded TV may be offered to the market soon.
Apple has considerable grown since Q1 of fiscal 2001 before it released the iPod and became more than a computer manufacturer. In the Q1 of fiscal 2001 ending Dec. 31, 2000, Apple reportedly lost $195 million on quarterly revenue of $1 billion.
In the Q1 of fiscal 2014, ending Dec. 31, 2013, Apple reportedly earned $13.1 billion on revenue of $57.6 billion. About 14 years ago, Apple shipped 659,000 Mac computers by December 2000. This year, Apple reported sales of 4.8 million Mac computers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- ‘Minecraft’ PS4, Xbox One And PS Vita Updates From Devs, Microsoft CEO Talks About The Buyout
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design