Apple Rumors: iPhone 6 May Feature Solar Charging Around Sapphire Glass, New Apple TV And More
By Vanessa Francisco | January 30, 2014 11:59 PM EST
According to a Seeking Alpha analyst, Apple is working on a technology that may lead to the 2014 iPhone covered in sapphire glass with small solar panels embedded in its cover. The tiny solar panels will help recharge the iPhone battery when exposed to a strong source of light.
The Cupertino-based company will also feature the technology in the new iPod Touch versions but amid persistent rumors that Apple will no longer launch the next gen iPod line whose sales have been continuously dropping through the years.
The analyst said Apple now holds a variety of patents for solar charging mobile device technology and has already signed an agreement with GT Advanced Technologies to develop its sapphire display covers late in 2013. The latest reports indicated Apple will release two iPhone versions with one having a screen bigger than 4.5-inches while the other one above 5-inches.
Meanwhile, Apple's top media streaming product, Apple TV already has its own page on Apple's online store. It was previously listed along with the company's iPod line. But now it has its own page titled, "Shop Apple TV" in the Web site's latest update.
The new page provides speculations that Apple is now preparing for a major hardware update for Apple TV. The recent rumors suggested Apple could also add gaming apps to Apple TV. There has been some buzz about Apple TV despite some speculations saying an Apple branded TV may be offered to the market soon.
Apple has considerable grown since Q1 of fiscal 2001 before it released the iPod and became more than a computer manufacturer. In the Q1 of fiscal 2001 ending Dec. 31, 2000, Apple reportedly lost $195 million on quarterly revenue of $1 billion.
In the Q1 of fiscal 2014, ending Dec. 31, 2013, Apple reportedly earned $13.1 billion on revenue of $57.6 billion. About 14 years ago, Apple shipped 659,000 Mac computers by December 2000. This year, Apple reported sales of 4.8 million Mac computers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report