Mumbai Gets Ready For India's First Monorail [Facts,Timeline,Photos]
By Johnlee Varghese | January 30, 2014 11:52 PM EST
After a delay of almost two-and-half years, the first route of monorail services in Mumbai will officially start its operations beginning Sunday. Maharashtra's Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan will formally inaugurate the monorail on February 1 but the services will be opened for public only from Sunday.
The new addition in the public transport starting Sunday, will make Mumbai the first city in India to use a monorail. The 8.8 km monorail line will connect Wadala in Central Mumbai with Chembur in suburban Mumbai.
Malaysian infrastructure company Scomi in a joint venture with L&T executed the Rs 3,000-crore project. The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) was the lead project developer.
Mumbai Mono Rail
Phase 1: The 8.8 km Chembur-Wadala route covers seven stations - Wadala depot, Mysore colony, Bhakti Park, Bharat Petroleum, V.N. Purav Marg, Fertiliser Colony, and Chembur. This line will be operation from 2 February.
Phase 2: The 11.2 km Wadala-Jacob Circle route covers 11 stations - Chinchpokli, Chembur Naka, Wadala Bridge, Mint Colony, Acharya Atre Nagar, Antop Hill, Wadala, GTB Nagar, Fertilizer Company and Bharat Petroleum. The second phase between Wadala and Jacob Circle is scheduled for completion in mid-2015.
Timeline of the Mumbai Monorail
- 18 August 2008: Vilasrao Deshmukh, the then Chief Minister of Maharashtra, passed the order to build the Mumbai Monorail.
- 11 November 2008: Larsen and Toubro, along with Malaysian partner Scomi, was announced as the winner of the tender. Two consortia, namely Bombardier Transportation / Reliance Energy / Hitachi Monorail, and Larsen and Toubro / Scomi Rail were short-listed. Also Larsen and Toubro, along with Scomi, received an INR 24.6 billion (US$ 380 million) contract to build and operate the monorail until 2029.
- 9 February 2009: Construction of Mumbai Monorail started along the Chembur - Wadala - Jacob Circle route.
- 26 January 2010: A 108-meter test run was successfully conducted.
- 18 February 2012: The first test-run of about 1km was carried out from its yard in Wadala to Bhakti Park station.
- 10-12 December 2013: Successful trial of Wadala-Chembur route.
- 1 February 2014: Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan inaugurates Mumbai Monorail.
- 2 February 2014: Mumbai Monorail opens for public
Things to know about Mumbai Monorail
- The Fare will range between ₹5 to ₹19.
- Maximum speed: 80 kilometres per hour (50 mph)
- Average speed: 65 kilometres per hour (40 mph)
- Each four-car train can accommodate 568 commuters.
- Timings: 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for the initial weeks, which will be later changed to 5:00 a.m. to 12 midnight.
- 7,400 passengers are expected to use the monorail during peak hours.
- 1.25 lakh passengers are expected to commute via the monorail every day.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales