iPhone 6 To Have Improved Battery Life, Solar Cells Plus Sapphire Glass-Coasted Screens, Tim Cook Confirms Specs And More
By Precious Silva | January 30, 2014 11:48 PM EST
Apple has apparently been working on ensuring that the iPhone 6 will be one of the most impressive smartphones to date.
The gold colored version of the new iPhone 5S is seen after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013.
Recent reports claimed the company is incorporating solar power into its devices, including iPhone 6. The upcoming flagship smartphone will feature sapphire screen, solar power and improved battery life. Will the iPhone 6 be a huge hit?
In a well-organized post from investor blog Seeking Alpha, Matt Margolis put analyzed the reported sapphire technology for iPhone 6. The post argued the mix of job postings, equipment request and patents that support Apple's venture into protective sapphire covers. It is possible to see iPod and iPhone screens using the technology.
It seems Apple is committed to employ solar power. The company embraces sapphire as the main material for its upcoming offerings. Apple has contracted GT Advanced Technologies to supply the sapphire mateirals for the company's work. This can reduce the $13 to $18 cost of the cover material to $3 or $5 if it pushes through.
"The reason sapphire screens are so important to Apple and their innovatation is because they need sapphire to protect all of their 'cool stuff' under the hood of their devices," Margolis said.
Uncoupling the touch ID sensor with the home button and allowing the screen to become a possible bigger fingerprint sensor is part of that "cool stuff." If this happens, it will have a big impact in the incorporation of the touch ID with the iWatch. It may also support mobile payment systems.
Another important discovery from Margolis is that the protective surface may help Apple products to charge support the company's efforts to have "lighter and thinner" designs. If the protective covering can charge the devices, Apple can reduce the battery weight and size. The protective cover may also pack solar panels for efficient charging and energy efficiency.
Some of the highlights of the report included Apple filing for solar patents giving electronic devices to use solar cells directly. Apple is also looking to fill thin films engineer position and solar experience and signing a $578 million contract with GT Advanced Technologies for supply of sapphire materials.
With these innovations, iPhone 6 appears as a more innovative handset design compared to what was previously predicted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports