Why Barack Obama Can't Deport Justin Bieber Despite Petition to Send Him Back to Canada
By Raymond Ronamai | January 30, 2014 10:21 PM EST
An online petition requesting the Obama administration to deport teen pop sensation Justin Bieber and revoke his green card has got 176,647 signatures at the time of filing this story, meriting response from the government, but it looks like deportation can't be done as the singer's act doesn't merit such a harsh action.
Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber performs during his \"Believe\" concert at the Olimpic Stadium in Santo Domingo October 22, 2013. REUTERS/Ricardo Rojas.
The petition was created by J.A. on January 23 after the 19-year-old "Baby" singer was arrested in Miami Beach last week on charges of driving under the influence (DUI), driving with an expired license and resisting arrest without violence.
"We the people of the United States feel that we are being wrongly represented in the world of pop culture. We would like to see the dangerous, reckless, destructive, and drug abusing, Justin Bieber deported and his green card revoked. He is not only threatening the safety of our people but he is also a terrible influence on our nations youth. We the people would like to remove Justin Bieber from our society," says the petition.
No doubt Justin Bieber has done something reprehensible and broken the law, but legally speaking, his act may not befit a punishment as harsh as deportation, which means Barack Obama administration may not send him to Canada .
According to the United States Immigration Law, a person can be deported on criminal grounds. An alien or lawful permanent residence (green card holder) is deportable if the person is convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude and was committed within 5 years of admission and the crime convicted may impose a sentence of one year or longer, according to U.S. Immigration Visa Center.
Immigration attorney Michael Wildes told Hollywood Life that a person can only be deported for a crime involving moral turpitude, "a crime that shocks the conscience of a state, local or federal prosecutor.
However, driving under the influence (DUI), driving with an expired license and resisting arrest without violence are not crimes of moral turpitude.
The 19-year-old singer has landed himself in a series of trouble of late, including accusation that he and his friends threw eggs at his neighbor's home in Los Angeles, which led the police to search his home. He was arrested in Miami Beach last week on the aforementioned charges before being bailed out for a bond of $2,500.
It may be recalled that speculations of Justin Bieber's possible deportation surfaced in 2011 following his envolvement in Hamptons brawl. He also invited controversy by telling Rolling Stone in an interview that he "never plans on becoming an American citizen". "You guys are evil. Canada's the best country in the world," he said, though in a jocular manner.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS