Mario Kart 8 Set for May Release; Firmware Update will Bypass Home Menu
By Aditya Bhat | January 30, 2014 8:05 PM EST
Nintendo has finally announced that it will be releasing Mario Kart 8 on Wii U in May. This comes straight from Satoru Iwata, CEO at Nintendo, who announced the news during the investors meet in Japan on 29 January.
Mario Kart 8 will release in May for Wii U.
He also said it will be not a Japan-specific launch but a worldwide one. This new game was revealed during Nintendo's E3 2013 Direct stream and had previously been put for a 'Spring 2014' release. Mario Kart 8 will have features like anti-gravity, where the Karts can now move up walls and ceilings.
Meanwhile, a new Wii U firmware update will be released in 'early summer' that is expected to hasten the access to the games.
Presently it takes 20 odd seconds to start the Wii U software, and the new update will change the start-up menu of the Wii U.
This was announced during the investors meet where Iwata spoke about it to the investors. Nintendo also ran a demo video showcasing what the new update will be able to do - on start-up, it will display a simple menu showing icons of the games that were recently played on the Gamepad screen. Then the users can tap the game they would like to play and select their Nintendo account. The system will directly start the game, thus bypassing the systems' home menu feature.
"We think that this function will make you feel that the time to start up a Wii U software title is cut by more than 50 percent, and that it will also lead to more Wii U users understanding the appealing nature of the GamePad," said Iwata, reported CVG.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft