Mario Kart 8 Set for May Release; Firmware Update will Bypass Home Menu
By Aditya Bhat | January 30, 2014 8:05 PM EST
Nintendo has finally announced that it will be releasing Mario Kart 8 on Wii U in May. This comes straight from Satoru Iwata, CEO at Nintendo, who announced the news during the investors meet in Japan on 29 January.
Mario Kart 8 will release in May for Wii U.
He also said it will be not a Japan-specific launch but a worldwide one. This new game was revealed during Nintendo's E3 2013 Direct stream and had previously been put for a 'Spring 2014' release. Mario Kart 8 will have features like anti-gravity, where the Karts can now move up walls and ceilings.
Meanwhile, a new Wii U firmware update will be released in 'early summer' that is expected to hasten the access to the games.
Presently it takes 20 odd seconds to start the Wii U software, and the new update will change the start-up menu of the Wii U.
This was announced during the investors meet where Iwata spoke about it to the investors. Nintendo also ran a demo video showcasing what the new update will be able to do - on start-up, it will display a simple menu showing icons of the games that were recently played on the Gamepad screen. Then the users can tap the game they would like to play and select their Nintendo account. The system will directly start the game, thus bypassing the systems' home menu feature.
"We think that this function will make you feel that the time to start up a Wii U software title is cut by more than 50 percent, and that it will also lead to more Wii U users understanding the appealing nature of the GamePad," said Iwata, reported CVG.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- Xbox One VS. PS4 At PAX Prime 2014:18 Games On Sale And A Lineup Of Xbox Games Revealed
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko