Mario Kart 8 Set for May Release; Firmware Update will Bypass Home Menu
By Aditya Bhat | January 30, 2014 8:05 PM EST
Nintendo has finally announced that it will be releasing Mario Kart 8 on Wii U in May. This comes straight from Satoru Iwata, CEO at Nintendo, who announced the news during the investors meet in Japan on 29 January.
Mario Kart 8 will release in May for Wii U.
He also said it will be not a Japan-specific launch but a worldwide one. This new game was revealed during Nintendo's E3 2013 Direct stream and had previously been put for a 'Spring 2014' release. Mario Kart 8 will have features like anti-gravity, where the Karts can now move up walls and ceilings.
Meanwhile, a new Wii U firmware update will be released in 'early summer' that is expected to hasten the access to the games.
Presently it takes 20 odd seconds to start the Wii U software, and the new update will change the start-up menu of the Wii U.
This was announced during the investors meet where Iwata spoke about it to the investors. Nintendo also ran a demo video showcasing what the new update will be able to do - on start-up, it will display a simple menu showing icons of the games that were recently played on the Gamepad screen. Then the users can tap the game they would like to play and select their Nintendo account. The system will directly start the game, thus bypassing the systems' home menu feature.
"We think that this function will make you feel that the time to start up a Wii U software title is cut by more than 50 percent, and that it will also lead to more Wii U users understanding the appealing nature of the GamePad," said Iwata, reported CVG.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell