Why Was Lorde Late At Her Own Concert?
By Anne Lu | January 30, 2014 7:43 PM EST
Lorde fulfilled her promise of a makeup concert to St Jerome’s Laneway Festival ticketholders on Wednesday, but she made them wait for two hours. The 17-year-old Auckland native was mysteriously late for her own concert, making people wonder if she has quickly turned into a diva just a couple of days after winning two Grammy Awards.
Not quite. It turned out she not only had a legitimate excuse, she was even admirable for showing up.
Her manager, Scott Maclachlan, called her the “bravest girl in the world” while Lorde was performing in front of the 10,000-strong crowd at Silo Park.
“These things happen and she’s had a busy three or four days, and also just got off a flight,” MacLachlan told NZ Herald that the “Royals” hitmaker was unwell.
“She’s definitely feeling better. It was an incredible crowd and an incredible show because it had a real homecoming feel so I think she thoroughly enjoyed it.”
Lorde touched down in Auckland earlier the same day, just a few days after she won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance for “Royals” on Sunday in the U.S.
Maclachlan did not elaborate on what was ailing Lorde, but Splore Festival revealed in a now-deleted tweet that Lorde “was late because she was vomiting! What a pro! #fact”
The crowd didn’t seem to mind that their idol made them wait. Lorde has received rave reviews for her show.
Meanwhile, after Lorde wrote – and deleted – tweets condemning the “sad” reception she got from the media in the country, Kiwi model Charlotte Dawson advised Lorde to leave New Zealand. The “Australia’s Next Top Model” judge told Newstalk ZB’s Mike Hosking that their home nation would just crush Lorde’s spirit if she stayed.
Charlotte condemned the NZ media, saying that the media would just criticise Lorde whatever she does.
“Unless you’re very mediocre, you need to get out of there. You just have to if you want to keep succeeding because otherwise it will just crush your spirit,” she said.
And while the people are proud of Lorde for achieving big things at just 17, it’s the media that would destroy Lorde.
“It’s just that the media are going to give her a very, very hard time and my advice is she’s going to have to leave New Zealand.”
Like Lorde in her deleted tweets, Charlotte cleared that it’s the media, and not the public, that she was blaming.
Charlotte left the country in 2007 to settle in Australia after her reputation had been damaged” by “nasty swipes.” She said that she can’t come back anymore because people in New Zealand don’t want to employ her anymore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide