Why Was Lorde Late At Her Own Concert?
By Anne Lu | January 30, 2014 7:43 PM EST
Lorde fulfilled her promise of a makeup concert to St Jerome’s Laneway Festival ticketholders on Wednesday, but she made them wait for two hours. The 17-year-old Auckland native was mysteriously late for her own concert, making people wonder if she has quickly turned into a diva just a couple of days after winning two Grammy Awards.
Not quite. It turned out she not only had a legitimate excuse, she was even admirable for showing up.
Her manager, Scott Maclachlan, called her the “bravest girl in the world” while Lorde was performing in front of the 10,000-strong crowd at Silo Park.
“These things happen and she’s had a busy three or four days, and also just got off a flight,” MacLachlan told NZ Herald that the “Royals” hitmaker was unwell.
“She’s definitely feeling better. It was an incredible crowd and an incredible show because it had a real homecoming feel so I think she thoroughly enjoyed it.”
Lorde touched down in Auckland earlier the same day, just a few days after she won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance for “Royals” on Sunday in the U.S.
Maclachlan did not elaborate on what was ailing Lorde, but Splore Festival revealed in a now-deleted tweet that Lorde “was late because she was vomiting! What a pro! #fact”
The crowd didn’t seem to mind that their idol made them wait. Lorde has received rave reviews for her show.
Meanwhile, after Lorde wrote – and deleted – tweets condemning the “sad” reception she got from the media in the country, Kiwi model Charlotte Dawson advised Lorde to leave New Zealand. The “Australia’s Next Top Model” judge told Newstalk ZB’s Mike Hosking that their home nation would just crush Lorde’s spirit if she stayed.
Charlotte condemned the NZ media, saying that the media would just criticise Lorde whatever she does.
“Unless you’re very mediocre, you need to get out of there. You just have to if you want to keep succeeding because otherwise it will just crush your spirit,” she said.
And while the people are proud of Lorde for achieving big things at just 17, it’s the media that would destroy Lorde.
“It’s just that the media are going to give her a very, very hard time and my advice is she’s going to have to leave New Zealand.”
Like Lorde in her deleted tweets, Charlotte cleared that it’s the media, and not the public, that she was blaming.
Charlotte left the country in 2007 to settle in Australia after her reputation had been damaged” by “nasty swipes.” She said that she can’t come back anymore because people in New Zealand don’t want to employ her anymore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People