Why Was Lorde Late At Her Own Concert?
By Anne Lu | January 30, 2014 7:43 PM EST
Lorde fulfilled her promise of a makeup concert to St Jerome’s Laneway Festival ticketholders on Wednesday, but she made them wait for two hours. The 17-year-old Auckland native was mysteriously late for her own concert, making people wonder if she has quickly turned into a diva just a couple of days after winning two Grammy Awards.
Not quite. It turned out she not only had a legitimate excuse, she was even admirable for showing up.
Her manager, Scott Maclachlan, called her the “bravest girl in the world” while Lorde was performing in front of the 10,000-strong crowd at Silo Park.
“These things happen and she’s had a busy three or four days, and also just got off a flight,” MacLachlan told NZ Herald that the “Royals” hitmaker was unwell.
“She’s definitely feeling better. It was an incredible crowd and an incredible show because it had a real homecoming feel so I think she thoroughly enjoyed it.”
Lorde touched down in Auckland earlier the same day, just a few days after she won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance for “Royals” on Sunday in the U.S.
Maclachlan did not elaborate on what was ailing Lorde, but Splore Festival revealed in a now-deleted tweet that Lorde “was late because she was vomiting! What a pro! #fact”
The crowd didn’t seem to mind that their idol made them wait. Lorde has received rave reviews for her show.
Meanwhile, after Lorde wrote – and deleted – tweets condemning the “sad” reception she got from the media in the country, Kiwi model Charlotte Dawson advised Lorde to leave New Zealand. The “Australia’s Next Top Model” judge told Newstalk ZB’s Mike Hosking that their home nation would just crush Lorde’s spirit if she stayed.
Charlotte condemned the NZ media, saying that the media would just criticise Lorde whatever she does.
“Unless you’re very mediocre, you need to get out of there. You just have to if you want to keep succeeding because otherwise it will just crush your spirit,” she said.
And while the people are proud of Lorde for achieving big things at just 17, it’s the media that would destroy Lorde.
“It’s just that the media are going to give her a very, very hard time and my advice is she’s going to have to leave New Zealand.”
Like Lorde in her deleted tweets, Charlotte cleared that it’s the media, and not the public, that she was blaming.
Charlotte left the country in 2007 to settle in Australia after her reputation had been damaged” by “nasty swipes.” She said that she can’t come back anymore because people in New Zealand don’t want to employ her anymore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate