Arsenal Transfer News: Striker on His Way to London for a Medical as Wenger Steps Up Move for Germany International
By Deepak Vikraman | January 30, 2014 5:39 PM EST
It seems like Arsene Wenger will be a busy man over the next couple of days, with Arsenal reportedly closing in on a move for a couple of new names before the transfer window shuts on Friday.
Arsenal are currently suffering from a few untimely injuries and suspensions, which have perhaps forced Wenger's hand to dip into the transfer market, something he is always reluctant to do during the January transfer window.
Julian Draxler has always seemed like more of a summer capture than a winter one, but according to the latest reports coming out of both UK and Germany, the Gunners have stepped up their interest for the Schalke playmaker, with Wenger keen to complete a move by Friday.
"Regardless of all the media reports from England, we've no reason to concern ourselves with this matter," Schalke spokesperson Thomas Spiegel told Der Western.
Draxler has a £37 million release clause in his contract, which will reportedly only be activated next summer. However, the German club are determined to hold on to that particular fee if they are to do business in January, with the Gunners reluctant to go over £30 million for a 20-year-old who still has a lot to learn.
According to the Guardian, Arsenal's chief transfer negotiator Dick Law has flown to Germany to try and thrash out a move, with the English Premier League club hopeful the signing can be completed in time by persuading Schalke to settle for a smaller initial fee with plenty of add-ons included.
Meanwhile, Arsenal could also bring in that much-needed striker to their squad by Friday, with Mirko Vucinic, according to Tuttosport, heading to London to complete a medical after agreeing to a loan move until the end of the season.
Vucinic's agent Alessandro Lucci confirmed his client was training separately from the squad at the moment as the Montenegro international attempts to complete a move away from Turin after falling out of favour under manager Antonio Conte.
"Vucinic spoke with Conte and they have agreed he will train apart in these last days of the transfer market because he is involved in some possible negotiations," Lucci told Sky Sport Italia. "But I want to say that Mirko has never asked to be sold."
Juventus general manager Beppe Marotta also confirmed the forward could leave. "Vucinic? He will leave only if he asks to go," Marotta was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.
Marotta expressed his interest in Southampton striker Dani Osvaldo, but insisted the club would make a move only if a player leaves, further opening up the door for Vucinic's exit.
"We like Osvaldo and other clubs like him too," Marotta added. "He is an excellent player, but before buying anyone we need to sell."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?