Use of HSU Credit Card to Pay for Prostitute Is Not Fraud, Lawyer of Craig Thomson Says
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 30, 2014 5:33 PM EST
The report says hundreds of thousands of woman are forced to work as prostitutes across the EU (Reuters)
The lawyer for embattled Australian MP Craig Thomson insisted on Wednesday that the former national secretary of the Health Services Union (HSU) did not commit fraud when he allegedly use the cards to pay for the services of prostitutes and other personal expenses.
Barrister Greg James, in effect, did not deny that Mr Thomson made those transactions, but stressed there was no criminal deception involved.
"The accused here has been given the right to use the credit cards for transactions ... He doesn't deceive the bank, the credit card provider or the service provider. He doesn't deceive the HSU," Mr James told the Melbourne magistrates court, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald.
He emphasised that there was no evidence to suggest that the businesses, Commonwealth Bank and Diners Club, received payments from the use of the HSU cards by Mr Thomson were defrauded or shortchanged. "The providers couldn't care less about his relationship with the HSU," he added.
The line of defence seems to have taken into account the statement of Misty, a former Sydney prostitute who confirmed having provided sexual services to the former HSU official and was paid by Mr Thomson allegedly by using the HSU cards at least six times.
Mr James also said that, "All they care about is whether the bank or credit card will honour the transaction - and they did and the debts were paid."
The 49-year-old Mr Thomson has filed a not guilty plea to over 140 charges of fraud and theft.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8