Chinese New Year Boosts Demand for Rock Lobster from Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 30, 2014 4:51 PM EST
Revellers attend a Chinese New Year parade at Chinatown in New York January 29, 2012. The Lunar New Year began on January 23 and marked the start of the Year of the Dragon, according to the Chinese zodiac.
ABC reports that over 10 tonnes of rock lobster are being shipped daily from the southeast of South Australia to China. In fact, many fishers have met their full lobster quota and will have to stop casting their nets.
Crustaceans, though, are just one of the growing Australian exports to China which reached $92 billion in 2013.
However, as China observes their New Year for Spring Festival Golden Week Holiday from Jan 30 to Feb 5, business transactions between the two countries will be halted.
Dynamic Business advices Aussie exporters to settle their RMB invoices before the Chinese New Year to avoid potential late payment fees and broken contracts. Likewise, Australian companies must request payment from their Chinese trading partners prior to Jan 31 to avoid potential cash flow issues.
Meanwhile, while Chinese in the mainland and Hong Kong will travel to their hometowns to celebrate the most important holiday in their calendar with a family reunion, traditional banquet and the distribution of red envelopes with money inside, migrant Chinese in Australia plan to spend the holiday in national parks such as the Mirima National Park in Kununurra, Western Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’