Chinese New Year Boosts Demand for Rock Lobster from Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 30, 2014 4:51 PM EST
Revellers attend a Chinese New Year parade at Chinatown in New York January 29, 2012. The Lunar New Year began on January 23 and marked the start of the Year of the Dragon, according to the Chinese zodiac.
ABC reports that over 10 tonnes of rock lobster are being shipped daily from the southeast of South Australia to China. In fact, many fishers have met their full lobster quota and will have to stop casting their nets.
Crustaceans, though, are just one of the growing Australian exports to China which reached $92 billion in 2013.
However, as China observes their New Year for Spring Festival Golden Week Holiday from Jan 30 to Feb 5, business transactions between the two countries will be halted.
Dynamic Business advices Aussie exporters to settle their RMB invoices before the Chinese New Year to avoid potential late payment fees and broken contracts. Likewise, Australian companies must request payment from their Chinese trading partners prior to Jan 31 to avoid potential cash flow issues.
Meanwhile, while Chinese in the mainland and Hong Kong will travel to their hometowns to celebrate the most important holiday in their calendar with a family reunion, traditional banquet and the distribution of red envelopes with money inside, migrant Chinese in Australia plan to spend the holiday in national parks such as the Mirima National Park in Kununurra, Western Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS