Chinese New Year Boosts Demand for Rock Lobster from Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 30, 2014 4:51 PM EST
Revellers attend a Chinese New Year parade at Chinatown in New York January 29, 2012. The Lunar New Year began on January 23 and marked the start of the Year of the Dragon, according to the Chinese zodiac.
ABC reports that over 10 tonnes of rock lobster are being shipped daily from the southeast of South Australia to China. In fact, many fishers have met their full lobster quota and will have to stop casting their nets.
Crustaceans, though, are just one of the growing Australian exports to China which reached $92 billion in 2013.
However, as China observes their New Year for Spring Festival Golden Week Holiday from Jan 30 to Feb 5, business transactions between the two countries will be halted.
Dynamic Business advices Aussie exporters to settle their RMB invoices before the Chinese New Year to avoid potential late payment fees and broken contracts. Likewise, Australian companies must request payment from their Chinese trading partners prior to Jan 31 to avoid potential cash flow issues.
Meanwhile, while Chinese in the mainland and Hong Kong will travel to their hometowns to celebrate the most important holiday in their calendar with a family reunion, traditional banquet and the distribution of red envelopes with money inside, migrant Chinese in Australia plan to spend the holiday in national parks such as the Mirima National Park in Kununurra, Western Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- A Month After Ukraine Plane Crash, Malaysia Airlines Doubles Commission of Australian Travel Agents to 11% to Boost Seat Sales
- Australia Could Become an Oil Giant After Apache Discovery of Field With Potential of 300 Million Barrels of Black Gold
- European Telcos in Buy-out Mode for American Firms
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 19, 2014
- Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display