EPL Transfer News: Dutch Striker Joins Newcastle as Cabaye Departs for PSG
By Deepak Vikraman | January 30, 2014 4:49 PM EST
As Yohan Cabaye completed his switch to French giants Paris Saint-Germain, Newcastle made their own signing by bringing in Dutch striker Luuk De Jong from Borussia Monchengladbach.
Both PSG and Newcastle confirmed the Cabaye move, with the French midfielder penning a three-and-a-half year contract with the Parisians, after the two sides agreed a fee in the region of £20 million.
Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye completed his move to PSG
"Wanted by a number of prestigious clubs, the new Parisian midfielder has chosen to join Paris Saint-Germain," PSG president Nasser Al Khelaifi told the club's official website. "The transfer of Yohan Cabaye is further proof of the club's capacity to attract the best French and overseas players.
"We are especially delighted to welcome him to the Paris Saint-Germain family, to help in its upcoming challenges in the second half of the season."
Alan Pardew would be very disappointed at losing such an influential player during the second half of the season, but with the chance to feature in the Champions League and play alongside the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Edinson Cavani, to just name a few, the Newcastle manager was always fighting a losing battle in trying to keep Cabaye at least until the end of the season.
"I was won over by the ambitious project at Paris Saint Germain and I can't wait to join this exceptional squad and help the team reach its objectives in France and in Europe," Cabaye said.
Pardew, however, will be boosted by the signing of De Jong, a player he tried to sign not too long ago, with Newcastle also having the option to make the switch permanent if they choose so at the end of the season.
"I'm really motivated," De Jong told nufcTV. "The first half of the season hasn't been nice for me because I didn't play much. I just want to show my talent, score goals and be successful again. That is why I'm here.
"My goalscoring record in Holland was very good and hopefully I can show that here."
De Jong could be thrown right in for Newcastle in the huge Tyne-Wear Derby against Sunderland at the weekend, and the 23-year-old said he would be ready.
"A lot of people have already told me about the game and what it's all about," he added. "I know how big it is and I love playing in these massive matches. That is why I became a footballer.
"It's always nice to be involved in a game like that and I would love to play a part. We have to win it because otherwise I know we cannot walk around the streets of Newcastle!"
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate