EPL Transfer News: Dutch Striker Joins Newcastle as Cabaye Departs for PSG
By Deepak Vikraman | January 30, 2014 4:49 PM EST
As Yohan Cabaye completed his switch to French giants Paris Saint-Germain, Newcastle made their own signing by bringing in Dutch striker Luuk De Jong from Borussia Monchengladbach.
Both PSG and Newcastle confirmed the Cabaye move, with the French midfielder penning a three-and-a-half year contract with the Parisians, after the two sides agreed a fee in the region of £20 million.
Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye completed his move to PSG
"Wanted by a number of prestigious clubs, the new Parisian midfielder has chosen to join Paris Saint-Germain," PSG president Nasser Al Khelaifi told the club's official website. "The transfer of Yohan Cabaye is further proof of the club's capacity to attract the best French and overseas players.
"We are especially delighted to welcome him to the Paris Saint-Germain family, to help in its upcoming challenges in the second half of the season."
Alan Pardew would be very disappointed at losing such an influential player during the second half of the season, but with the chance to feature in the Champions League and play alongside the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Edinson Cavani, to just name a few, the Newcastle manager was always fighting a losing battle in trying to keep Cabaye at least until the end of the season.
"I was won over by the ambitious project at Paris Saint Germain and I can't wait to join this exceptional squad and help the team reach its objectives in France and in Europe," Cabaye said.
Pardew, however, will be boosted by the signing of De Jong, a player he tried to sign not too long ago, with Newcastle also having the option to make the switch permanent if they choose so at the end of the season.
"I'm really motivated," De Jong told nufcTV. "The first half of the season hasn't been nice for me because I didn't play much. I just want to show my talent, score goals and be successful again. That is why I'm here.
"My goalscoring record in Holland was very good and hopefully I can show that here."
De Jong could be thrown right in for Newcastle in the huge Tyne-Wear Derby against Sunderland at the weekend, and the 23-year-old said he would be ready.
"A lot of people have already told me about the game and what it's all about," he added. "I know how big it is and I love playing in these massive matches. That is why I became a footballer.
"It's always nice to be involved in a game like that and I would love to play a part. We have to win it because otherwise I know we cannot walk around the streets of Newcastle!"
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best