It appears the public is torn on which team will win in Super Bowl XLVIII between the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos XLVIII, although there are early reports that “public money” has been pouring in for the Broncos mostly since the bookies opened the betting lines over a week ago.
READ ALSO: Super Bowl XLVIII Cheat Sheet: SB History, Betting Odds and Trends (Against the Spread)
As with other Super Bowl games, there’s more than to betting straight-up (which team wins the game) or against the spread with sports books offering proposition bets (prop bets) involving the game. Which team will win the coin toss? Which team will score first? How will they score?
These are all tasty propositions, but the general (betting) public only care for the important result and vital stat: Which team will win the game? Will they cover and what is going to be the total score for the game? Will it go over/under the set totals line?
Below is the SBXLVIII’s cheat sheet for the total score (Over/Under), the trends that matter before the Seahawks and Broncos kick-off for the 2014 NFL championship:
- During course of the regular season, games between AFC teams and NFC teams produced a 49-15 Over/Under record.
- The Broncos are 4-0 Over/Under vs. NFC East in the regular season averaging 47.3 points per game
- The Seahawks are 3-1 Over/Under vs. AFC South in the regular season averaging 29.0 PPG vs. the AFC
- Two of last three Super Bowls went Over: Baltimore Ravens 34, San Francisco 49ers 31 (Super Bowl XLVII) and Green Bay Packers 31, Pittsburgh Steelers 25 (Super Bowl XLV)
- Broncos Offense vs. winning teams: Denver is 24-7 Over/Under in their last 31 games versus winning teams
- Latest match-up: Denver-Seattle games are 5-2 Over/Under in the last seven meetings
A Case for the Under
- The last 9 Super Bowl games went 3-6 Over/Under
- Seahawks Defense: Seattle games are 0-7 Over/Under in its last seven games
- Seahawks Defense vs. winning teams: Seattle games are 0-6 Under/Over in their last six versus teams with winning records
- Broncos follows-up with Defense: Denver is 0-4 Over/Under in its last four games
Betting Lines: Seattle Seahawks (+2) vs. Denver Broncos (O/U: 47.5)
Game time: 9:30 am AEDT (Feb 3, Monday)
To contact the editor, e-mail: