Australia, Asia Advised To Brace For Potential El Niño In 2014, Deficient Rains May Come
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 30, 2014 3:18 PM EST
Weather forecasters from Australia and the U.S. have warned an El Niño weather pattern may likely hit the country and parts of Asia this year. If this occurs, chances are farm growers will experience deficient rains this year.
In a statement, Australia's Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said some models indicated the tropical Pacific will warm through the southern autumn and winter. Some models Claimed this warm weather will reach El Niño levels by early winter.
"Less spring rainfall for the east coast would be the major concern for Australia," Paul Deane, an analyst at Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. in Melbourne, said.
"It increases the chances that we're not going to get trend wheat yields, that would be one of the risks. The other one would be on livestock, where you'd have lower pasture growth."
The BoM's assessment confirmed the observations released by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York early in January. Gavin Schmidt, deputy director, noted the last El Niño has been 5 years ago.
Indonesia's Meteorological, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said an El Niño usually happens every 2 to 7 years.
Even Delhi-based weather forecaster Skymet Weather Services strongly believed the El Niño could emerge this year.
"2014 can be an El Niño year. It will be in an emerging stage through the monsoon months of June, July, August and September," the Indian weather service said.
In Australia, the country's El Niños happened in 2009-2010, 2006-2007 and 2002-2003.
Australia's autumn runs from March to May. Winter is from June to August.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’