Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/30/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 30, 2014 1:47 PM EST
The Australian share market is giving back yesterday's gains following triple digit losses on Wall Street overnight.
Australia's ASX outshines regional indices in the week ending 28 September (Reuters).
The US Central Bank decided to taper its bond buying program by another US$10 billion a month from February, committing to US$65 billion worth of asset purchases. It was outgoing Chairman Ben Bernanke's final meeting, before Janet Yellen takes over the top job. The tapering was widely expected yet investors still decided to sell out, also unnerved by worries about emerging economies and disappointing earnings results.
After the bell on Wall Street Facebook released fourth quarter earnings which beat expectations, sending its share up by as much as 11 per cent in after-hours trade.
On our market, it's a sea of red with every sector lower. Miners are down around 0.9 per cent and the energy sector is off 0.8 per cent.
In economic news, new home sales fell 0.4 per cent in December but sales rose 14.4 per cent in 2013 on a year earlier. CommSec tips average home prices should rise by around five per cent yesterday.
On the market overall, a total of 706 million shares have changed hands, with a value of $1.8 billion. 249 are up, 516 are down and 290 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar is buying US87.4c in early trade, £0.5278 and €63.99c.
The Reserve Bank of New Zealand today elected to leave its official cash rate on hold at 2.5 per cent, sending the Kiwi down against the greenback. The NZX 50 Gross Index is down 0.8 per cent in the early session.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 15, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 16, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 15, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 16, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date