Canadian Teen Leader of Prostitution Ring Convicted of 30 Charges, Faces 14-Yr Imprisonment
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 30, 2014 1:41 PM EST
A 17-year old girl from Ottawa, Canada, faces a 14-year imprisonment term after the court found her guilty of running an underage prostitution ring.
The Court on Wednesday found the girl guilty on 30 of 33 charges, including procurement for the purpose of prostitution, sexual assault, child luring, human trafficking, making child pornography, uttering threats and unlawful confinement, among others. She was among three girls whose identities are withheld, protected under a publication ban when they were arrested in June 2012 in the Ottawa area.
The Crown said it will pursue an adult sentence for the 17-year old teen after she undergoes psychiatric assessment.
The girl pleaded not guilty in April 2013 at the outset of the trial against her.
The teen's illegal activities were spilled out into the open after one of the victims she befriended complained to her mother, who later on informed authorities. Her daughter, whom she had earlier took to a sleepover with a friend, came home distraught and crying.
Through Facebook and other social media channels, the child prostitution ringleader and her partners lured victims to meet at a south-end Ottawa housing complex to hang out. The girls will eventually get drugged and later on taken elsewhere to meet clients.
The court heard the victims got beaten, confined and forced to hand over their earnings. There were some who were forced to strip, their naked bodies photographed and then texted to clients.
"The ringleader was guided by greed, without any regard for the damage that she inflicted physically and emotionally upon a population of vulnerable girls," Fara Rupert, Crown prosecutor, said in her closing argument, according to Metro News Ottawa.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar