ANZ Refunds 235,000 Home Loan Customers $70 Million for Interest Repayment Overcharge
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 30, 2014 10:45 AM EST
ANZ Bank's image as a bully lender to some customers may be softened since the bank is now refunding 235,000 home loan customers a total of $70 million which represents overcharge for interest repayments. That would average about $300 per customers.
The bank is informing its clients through letters of the errors in computation of interest repayments that, in some instances, go all the way back to 2003. The mistake was attributed to agreed discounts or offset accounts not being linked to the customer's mortgage accounts.
ANZ said sorry to its clients for the human error and held a review of all its offset accounts beginning 2003, Breakfree accounts since 2006 and 2.4 million mortgage accounts since 2011.
A bank spokesman said it has started refunding customers immediately, with some receiving a compensation amount, and all payments are expected to be completed within the next 6 weeks.
The bank, which informed the Australian Securities and Investments Commission of the process, said the refunds will not impact its results.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales