ANZ Refunds 235,000 Home Loan Customers $70 Million for Interest Repayment Overcharge
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 30, 2014 10:45 AM EST
ANZ Bank's image as a bully lender to some customers may be softened since the bank is now refunding 235,000 home loan customers a total of $70 million which represents overcharge for interest repayments. That would average about $300 per customers.
The bank is informing its clients through letters of the errors in computation of interest repayments that, in some instances, go all the way back to 2003. The mistake was attributed to agreed discounts or offset accounts not being linked to the customer's mortgage accounts.
ANZ said sorry to its clients for the human error and held a review of all its offset accounts beginning 2003, Breakfree accounts since 2006 and 2.4 million mortgage accounts since 2011.
A bank spokesman said it has started refunding customers immediately, with some receiving a compensation amount, and all payments are expected to be completed within the next 6 weeks.
The bank, which informed the Australian Securities and Investments Commission of the process, said the refunds will not impact its results.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Hungry Jack’s Joins McDonald’s Australia Monopoly Campaign With McOpoly Promo
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Surge Expected Soon as Analysts Predict iPhone Opening Weekend Sales
- Alibaba Sells Extra Shares; IPO Raises $25B, Breaks Global Record
- Furore Over Facebook Mark Zuckerberg $10m Fortress In San Francisco
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?