iPhone 6 Release Date: 5 Expected Features in Apple's Next-Gen Smartphone
By Raymond Ronamai | January 30, 2014 3:10 AM EST
Apple's next generation smartphone - iPhone 6 - has seen plenty of hype, with speculations on its features not ceasing to make headlines. The new device is expected to sport a new look, better hardware and improved software.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
Here are five rumored features of iPhone 6:
1) Sapphire-Coated Glass: iPhone 6 is expected to feature a scratch-resistant sapphire-coated glass display that will enable solar-charging. PC & Tech Authority claims "Apple has filed solar patents which will theoretically allow it to power its iDevices directly through solar cells built into their screen coverings."
2) Gesture Controls: iPhone 6 is expected to feature Retina+ IGZO display that will enable gesture control, as well as touch capabilities, and will support near field communication (NFC), according to a report by American Live Wire.
3) A8 Processor: iPhone 6 is expected to be powered by quad-core A8 processor. Semiconductor product packaging companies - Amkor Technology, STATS ChipPAC and Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) - have obtained packaging orders placed by Apple for its next-generation A8 processor, says a report by DigiTimes, citing industry sources.
4) Bigger Screen: It is reported that iPhone 6 will sport a bigger display. Apple Insider had reported that analyst Timothy Arcuri of Cowen and Company told investors, citing sources from the company's supply chain, that the Cupertino giant has locked down the design of iPhone 6, and would sport a 4.8-inch display.
5) 802.11ac Wi-Fi Connectivity: Macs Apple was updated with 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity in 2013 but iPhone 5s had only 802.11n Wi-Fi connections. However, Apple's new smartphone is expected to have the new Wi-Fi standard.
Reports are doing the rounds that iPhone 6 would be released in June this year. Chinese Analyst Sun Changxu had earlier told QQ Tech website that iPhone 6 production would ramp up in May before its launch in June. Jefferies analyst Peter Misek also said that iPhone 6 might be launched in June.
However, Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri thinks iPhone 6 launch may happen only in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James