Why was Scarlett Johansson's SodaStream Commercial Rejected? Watch Uncensored Banned Super Bowl Ad [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2014 2:36 AM EST
Actress Scarlett Johansson does look beautiful and sexy in the new SodaStream commercial, meant to be shown during the upcoming Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday. However, only the edited version of the ad will make it to TV. Reason? Fox has rejected the original version.
Screenshot from YouTube Video
Scarlett Johansson in SodaStream Commercial
The ad has Johansson appearing in a white bathrobe and seductively sipping home-made soda but that's not the reason that Fox banned it. It was the actress' rhetoric about the two giant soft drink companies that did not went down too well with the heads at Fox.
"Like most actors my real job is saving the world. Start with plain water, add bubbles, mix in the plain flavour. Look, a soda that's better for you and all of us. Less sugar, less bottles. If only there was some way I could make this message go viral," the actress says in the ad. "'Sorry Coke and Pepsi," she added towards the end.
Daniel Birnbaum, CEO of SodaStream told USA Today that Fox demanded the line "Sorry Coke and Pepsi" to be killed.
"What are they afraid of?" USA Today quoted Birnbaum as asking. "Which advertiser in America doesn't mention a competitor? This is the kind of stuff that happens in China. I'm disappointed as an American."
It may be mentioned that Coke and Pepsi are long-time spenders on Super Bowl ads.
Birnbaum went on to say that SodaStream has no choice but to drop the controversial line. "If I could get my money back, I'd be happy to be out of that deal," he told the daily.
The Super Bowl XLVIII will be played between Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos on Sunday (February 2) at the MetLife Stadium, New Jersey.
VIDEO:Sorry, Coke and Pepsi. (Uncensored)
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef