Rebound Sex Happens In Real Life, Latest Research Proves
By Christine Lazaro | January 30, 2014 12:46 AM EST
Latest research proved the concept of rebound sex is not limited to movie plots but happens in real life.
So is it really a good way to move on from a past relationship by spending some intimate time with someone new? Huffington Post reported researchers from the University of Missouri gathered a total of 170 students who had a breakup. The study was called "Rebound Sex: Sexual Motives and Behaviors Following a Relationship Breakup."
Within eight months, all students involved were surveyed and interviewed and created journal entries on a weekly basis. Eventually, the study discovered almost one-third of the students went through revenge sex or what was more popularly called "rebound sex" within the first four weeks of their moving on phase from their last relationship.
On a specific note, the researchers found out those who were from longer relationships and those who were on the dumped side were those who got into rebound sex. It somehow turned out to be their means of coping with the stress and anger that they kept inside after being broken up with.
However, a good note that researchers shared to many was that rebound sex was not always helpful. "However, those who reported the use of sex to cope with or get over the relationship loss continued to have sex with new partners even after eight months suggests that, for at least these individuals, this behaviour signified a lack of recovery and an inability to move on," the researchers pointed out.
Lynne Cooper, one of the researchers and psychologist at the University of Missouri shared with Live Science Web site the topic of rebound sex is quite a phenomenon to consider especially when one would research it over at Google these days. Cooper also expressed her intention on expanding the research on rebound sex by also involving other age groups.
So how much do you think can rebound sex help in moving on from a past relationship? Is rebound sex good or bad?
(Video Credit: YouTube/Tom Rezek)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Great-Grandma With Dementia Writes Moving Letter Before Taking Life
- 'Game Of Thrones' Cast Members Nominate Each Other For ALS Ice Bucket Challenge [VIDEOS]
- Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
- Married Couples Who Smoke Pot, Less Likely to Encounter Domestic Violence
- Smartphone-Linked 'Bionic' Pancreas More Effective In Diabetes: NSW Researchers
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko