Liverpool Transfer Rumours: Reds Nearing Winger Capture
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 30, 2014 12:18 AM EST
Liverpool are reportedly holding negotiations over a potential move for Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka and are confident of clinching a deal, before the January transfer window closes on Friday.
Konoplyanka, best remembered for his brilliant performance and stunning goal against England in Ukraine's 1-1 draw with England in the World Cup qualifier at Wembley last year, plays for native side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
The 24-year-old is highly rated by pundits and managers across Europe, and was previously linked with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.
However, according to ESPN and the Guardian, it is Liverpool who are currently in talks with Dnipro, regarding a potential transfer of Konoplyanka, who is likely to cost them around £15 to 16m.
Konoplyanka is basically an inverted winger, who operates on the left flank for the Ukraine national team. However, he possesses tremendous technical knowledge and playmaking abilities and can be deployed as a no.10 as well.
Several reports have quoted Konoplyanka's father stating a transfer to an English club is close and will happen in the next few days.
"I do not want to say specifically but the information about a transfer to the English club is true. He can change clubs later this week. We do not consider offers from Ukraine," the player's father pointed out.
Back in November, Konoplyanka's representative James Lippett had revealed the player has been attracting interest from several big clubs in Europe and could leave Dnipro in January, if an interesting offer is on the table.
"We are aware of the interest from a number of Europe's major clubs. This is only normal when you are talking about a star player like Konoplyanka. He can do things on a football pitch that very few players can come close to, so we are expecting an interesting January," the agent had said.
Liverpool had been in the market for an attacking talent to complement their SAS strike force. The Merseyside outfit narrowly missed out on long-time target and Basel winger Mohamed Salah, who decided to join rivals Chelsea last week.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers had stated last night that he is hopeful of making a "major signing" in the next few days.
"I think we will hopefully do something over the next couple of days. We hope we can have a major signing before the window shuts - and if we can do that, we will be set up for the remaining games," the manager stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James