Liverpool Transfer Rumours: Reds Nearing Winger Capture
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 30, 2014 12:18 AM EST
Liverpool are reportedly holding negotiations over a potential move for Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka and are confident of clinching a deal, before the January transfer window closes on Friday.
Konoplyanka, best remembered for his brilliant performance and stunning goal against England in Ukraine's 1-1 draw with England in the World Cup qualifier at Wembley last year, plays for native side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
The 24-year-old is highly rated by pundits and managers across Europe, and was previously linked with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.
However, according to ESPN and the Guardian, it is Liverpool who are currently in talks with Dnipro, regarding a potential transfer of Konoplyanka, who is likely to cost them around £15 to 16m.
Konoplyanka is basically an inverted winger, who operates on the left flank for the Ukraine national team. However, he possesses tremendous technical knowledge and playmaking abilities and can be deployed as a no.10 as well.
Several reports have quoted Konoplyanka's father stating a transfer to an English club is close and will happen in the next few days.
"I do not want to say specifically but the information about a transfer to the English club is true. He can change clubs later this week. We do not consider offers from Ukraine," the player's father pointed out.
Back in November, Konoplyanka's representative James Lippett had revealed the player has been attracting interest from several big clubs in Europe and could leave Dnipro in January, if an interesting offer is on the table.
"We are aware of the interest from a number of Europe's major clubs. This is only normal when you are talking about a star player like Konoplyanka. He can do things on a football pitch that very few players can come close to, so we are expecting an interesting January," the agent had said.
Liverpool had been in the market for an attacking talent to complement their SAS strike force. The Merseyside outfit narrowly missed out on long-time target and Basel winger Mohamed Salah, who decided to join rivals Chelsea last week.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers had stated last night that he is hopeful of making a "major signing" in the next few days.
"I think we will hopefully do something over the next couple of days. We hope we can have a major signing before the window shuts - and if we can do that, we will be set up for the remaining games," the manager stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6