Liverpool Transfer Rumours: Reds Nearing Winger Capture
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | January 30, 2014 12:18 AM EST
Liverpool are reportedly holding negotiations over a potential move for Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka and are confident of clinching a deal, before the January transfer window closes on Friday.
Konoplyanka, best remembered for his brilliant performance and stunning goal against England in Ukraine's 1-1 draw with England in the World Cup qualifier at Wembley last year, plays for native side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
The 24-year-old is highly rated by pundits and managers across Europe, and was previously linked with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.
However, according to ESPN and the Guardian, it is Liverpool who are currently in talks with Dnipro, regarding a potential transfer of Konoplyanka, who is likely to cost them around £15 to 16m.
Konoplyanka is basically an inverted winger, who operates on the left flank for the Ukraine national team. However, he possesses tremendous technical knowledge and playmaking abilities and can be deployed as a no.10 as well.
Several reports have quoted Konoplyanka's father stating a transfer to an English club is close and will happen in the next few days.
"I do not want to say specifically but the information about a transfer to the English club is true. He can change clubs later this week. We do not consider offers from Ukraine," the player's father pointed out.
Back in November, Konoplyanka's representative James Lippett had revealed the player has been attracting interest from several big clubs in Europe and could leave Dnipro in January, if an interesting offer is on the table.
"We are aware of the interest from a number of Europe's major clubs. This is only normal when you are talking about a star player like Konoplyanka. He can do things on a football pitch that very few players can come close to, so we are expecting an interesting January," the agent had said.
Liverpool had been in the market for an attacking talent to complement their SAS strike force. The Merseyside outfit narrowly missed out on long-time target and Basel winger Mohamed Salah, who decided to join rivals Chelsea last week.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers had stated last night that he is hopeful of making a "major signing" in the next few days.
"I think we will hopefully do something over the next couple of days. We hope we can have a major signing before the window shuts - and if we can do that, we will be set up for the remaining games," the manager stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports