Floyd Mayweather Next Fight: Money May Could Be Killed If He Decides To Fight In Octagon - UFC President
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 30, 2014 12:16 AM EST
UFC President Dana White believed the boxing's biggest attraction and pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. won't stand a chance against the top guns of Mixed Martial Arts world, the MMA's top promotion executive said during an interview on syndicated late night show, "The Arsenio Hall Show."
Floyd Mayweather Jr could fight either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana
White, who has been critical on Money May ever since the war between boxing and MMA erupted in early 2000s, said Mayweather would get murdered by MMA artist if he decides to shift from boxing to mixed martial arts.
"He'd get murdered. He'd get murdered in the UFC. Here's the thing: These guys always talk about this crossover stuff -- and Floyd's going to go crazy because I said that, too now -- but the bottom line is the disrespect these guys show for each other's sports," White said in the interview.
Totally Different Sport
White cited the dynamism of each sporting discipline, stressing it won't be easy for an MMA guy to become successful in boxing neither the boxers are going to have a great career as MMA fighters.
The UFC president said MMA fighters have too many weapons and specialty compared to pure boxers like Mayweather, who only used their first to knock their opponents out.
"My guys thinking they could go over and box and Floyd thinking he could come over here in the UFC. It's like, you go to a knife fight with a guy and the other guy has got guns and chains and crowbars. There's so many more weapons in the UFC than there are in boxing, so it makes no sense."
According to Veteran Boxing Writer Kevin Lole, the boxing vs. MMA showdown had been displayed by Randy Couture's easy win over former heavyweight champion James Toney in Boston in 2010.
"This boxing versus MMA scenario was shown to be a farce at UFC 118 in Boston in 2010, when former UFC champion Randy Couture easily defeated former boxing champion James Toney," the veteran boxing writer said.
Mayweather would be easily KOd in the octagon despite possessing tremendous quickness in both hands and feet. His reflexes are one of a kind, but he cannot shoulder his way from the kicks and elbows of MMA warriors. Mixed martial arts is simply more punishing sport than boxing. A flyweight contender can as well easily school a light heavyweight MMA practitioner if the match is played inside the ring.
For more boxing news, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies