Floyd Mayweather Voted As BWAA Fighter Of the Year
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 30, 2014 12:10 AM EST
The Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) has named Floyd Mayweather Jr. "Fighter of the Year."
"It is a great honor to be voted by the BWAA as fighter of the year," Mayweather told ESPN.
"To be recognized by this organization is special and I truly appreciate it," he added. He also commended the other contenders who made it on the selection and the other winners.
Mayweather fought twice in 2013 and 2007 when he first won the award. He fought and triumphed over Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton in 2007. In 2013, he has fortified his entitlement to win the award after he has beaten Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.
He has remained unbeaten all throughout his professional boxing career, which makes him even more worthy of the coveted prize. Also, his fight against Alvarez has broken records in terms of pay-per-view revenue amounting to $150 million.
"I have dedicated my whole career to being the best and because of that I have been on top for 17 years," Mayweather said.
"Hard work and dedication got me there and awards like these help keep me there too," Mayweather said.
"On behalf of myself and the entire Money Team, I thank you very much," he noted.
Mayweather's Manager Al Haymon snagged the Cus D'Amato Manager of the Year Award. The BWAA didn't fail to notice Haymon's managerial skills in 2013. Aside from Mayweather, Hayman has handled Marcos Maidana, Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Devon Alexander, and Shawn Porter, to name a few.
The epic battle between Timothy Bradley and Ruslan Provodnikov was voted as the Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier Fight of the Year. Bradley was ecstatic after he found out.
"I gotta give major props to Ruslan Provodnikov for bringing the best out of me," Bradley said. "I hope that all the fans really appreciated that night," he added.
Freddie Roach won the Futch Trainer of the Year Award for a record-breaking six times. Roach first received the award in 2003, then in 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010.
The winners of BWAA awards will be honored in a ceremony which will be announced soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge