Floyd Mayweather Voted As BWAA Fighter Of the Year
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 30, 2014 12:10 AM EST
The Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) has named Floyd Mayweather Jr. "Fighter of the Year."
"It is a great honor to be voted by the BWAA as fighter of the year," Mayweather told ESPN.
"To be recognized by this organization is special and I truly appreciate it," he added. He also commended the other contenders who made it on the selection and the other winners.
Mayweather fought twice in 2013 and 2007 when he first won the award. He fought and triumphed over Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton in 2007. In 2013, he has fortified his entitlement to win the award after he has beaten Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.
He has remained unbeaten all throughout his professional boxing career, which makes him even more worthy of the coveted prize. Also, his fight against Alvarez has broken records in terms of pay-per-view revenue amounting to $150 million.
"I have dedicated my whole career to being the best and because of that I have been on top for 17 years," Mayweather said.
"Hard work and dedication got me there and awards like these help keep me there too," Mayweather said.
"On behalf of myself and the entire Money Team, I thank you very much," he noted.
Mayweather's Manager Al Haymon snagged the Cus D'Amato Manager of the Year Award. The BWAA didn't fail to notice Haymon's managerial skills in 2013. Aside from Mayweather, Hayman has handled Marcos Maidana, Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Devon Alexander, and Shawn Porter, to name a few.
The epic battle between Timothy Bradley and Ruslan Provodnikov was voted as the Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier Fight of the Year. Bradley was ecstatic after he found out.
"I gotta give major props to Ruslan Provodnikov for bringing the best out of me," Bradley said. "I hope that all the fans really appreciated that night," he added.
Freddie Roach won the Futch Trainer of the Year Award for a record-breaking six times. Roach first received the award in 2003, then in 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010.
The winners of BWAA awards will be honored in a ceremony which will be announced soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS