Obama’s ‘Mad Men’ Joke Becomes Most Tweeted Quote: How Many Times Was it Mentioned on Twitter?
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 29, 2014 10:47 PM EST
The State of the Union address that US President Barack Obama delivered on Tuesday would, beyond doubt, invite much attention. The Democrat leader was trying to breathe in a new life into his second term of presidency after a troubled year. But as it is the case with everything else, the most remarkable moment of any high-profile speech, would be the kind of wit and elegance the speaker applies while making himself loud and clear.
President Barack Obama begins his fifth State of the Union address Tuesday
Americans might have wanted wage hike, employment and a fix to various lists of problems they face; but most important of all, they wanted a little dose of humor, if the activity taking place in Twitter is any good indication.
The most enjoyable part of the speech, which unsurprisingly invited a huge round of enthusiastic applause and standing ovation inside the house chamber, was when the President struck a strong chord with the members after he talked about how equal pay must be ensured between men and woman and that he does not want policies of a "Mad Men" episode.
Twitter says that from the start of the State of the Union through to the conclusion of the official Republican response, there were 1.7 million tweets related to the event. Members of the congress themselves sent around 750 tweets during the course of the address that began at 9:10pm and ended around 10:20pm EST.
Among the topics discussed through the period, the "Mad Men" joke about equal pay received around 33,555 tweets per minute, Twitter said in a statement.
The following is the excerpt of the mind-blowing witticism, humor and cleverness applied in the remarkable part of the speech. Look out for rhetoric, style and the oratory skills that would have been used for this remark that left members almost awe-struck during that fateful moment:
"Today, women make up about half our workforce. But they still make 77 cents for every dollar a man earns. That is wrong, and in 2014, it's an embarrassment. A woman deserves equal pay for equal work. She deserves to have a baby without sacrificing her job. A mother deserves a day off to care for a sick child or sick parent without running into hardship - and you know what, a father does, too. It's time to do away with workplace policies that belong in a "Mad Men" episode. This year, let's all come together - Congress, the White House, and businesses from Wall Street to Main Street - to give every woman the opportunity she deserves. Because I firmly believe when women succeed, America succeeds."
Following are some of the most interesting reactions to the quote, which has now gone viral in the social media:
Of course Obama watches Mad Men. Biden kept telling him to check out the redhead on the show.
— Bobby Big Wheel (@BobbyBigWheel) January 29, 2014
Pres. Obama's favorite TV shows won't surprise you: House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Mad Men http://t.co/WgkOSpvnsK — Nisha Chittal (@NishaChittal) December 30, 2013
Friend: 'Aren't you afraid?' Of what, missing Mad Men? NSA and Obama are engaged in treasonous activity, let's dig deep and have fun.
— David Seaman (@d_seaman) June 10, 2013
I have to choose between Game of Thrones and Mad Men? Thanks, Obama! — Sam Montgomery (@sammontgomery) April 7, 2013
'Mad Men' Star Jon Hamm Pitches Early Voting For Obama: http://t.co/HtDjO4mh
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) October 30, 2012
just saw the Obama campaign's "Swiss Bank Account" anti-Romney ad during Mad Men commercial break. Hmmmm..... — Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) May 7, 2012
There's a certain logic ot Obama as a Mad Men character http://t.co/rp19MTn0
— Ben Smith (@BuzzFeedBen) March 25, 2012
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- New Zealand's Anti-Terror Law is Ready For Debate In Parliament : PM Releases Final Draft
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James