Obama’s ‘Mad Men’ Joke Becomes Most Tweeted Quote: How Many Times Was it Mentioned on Twitter?
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 29, 2014 10:47 PM EST
The State of the Union address that US President Barack Obama delivered on Tuesday would, beyond doubt, invite much attention. The Democrat leader was trying to breathe in a new life into his second term of presidency after a troubled year. But as it is the case with everything else, the most remarkable moment of any high-profile speech, would be the kind of wit and elegance the speaker applies while making himself loud and clear.
President Barack Obama begins his fifth State of the Union address Tuesday
Americans might have wanted wage hike, employment and a fix to various lists of problems they face; but most important of all, they wanted a little dose of humor, if the activity taking place in Twitter is any good indication.
The most enjoyable part of the speech, which unsurprisingly invited a huge round of enthusiastic applause and standing ovation inside the house chamber, was when the President struck a strong chord with the members after he talked about how equal pay must be ensured between men and woman and that he does not want policies of a "Mad Men" episode.
Twitter says that from the start of the State of the Union through to the conclusion of the official Republican response, there were 1.7 million tweets related to the event. Members of the congress themselves sent around 750 tweets during the course of the address that began at 9:10pm and ended around 10:20pm EST.
Among the topics discussed through the period, the "Mad Men" joke about equal pay received around 33,555 tweets per minute, Twitter said in a statement.
The following is the excerpt of the mind-blowing witticism, humor and cleverness applied in the remarkable part of the speech. Look out for rhetoric, style and the oratory skills that would have been used for this remark that left members almost awe-struck during that fateful moment:
"Today, women make up about half our workforce. But they still make 77 cents for every dollar a man earns. That is wrong, and in 2014, it's an embarrassment. A woman deserves equal pay for equal work. She deserves to have a baby without sacrificing her job. A mother deserves a day off to care for a sick child or sick parent without running into hardship - and you know what, a father does, too. It's time to do away with workplace policies that belong in a "Mad Men" episode. This year, let's all come together - Congress, the White House, and businesses from Wall Street to Main Street - to give every woman the opportunity she deserves. Because I firmly believe when women succeed, America succeeds."
Following are some of the most interesting reactions to the quote, which has now gone viral in the social media:
Of course Obama watches Mad Men. Biden kept telling him to check out the redhead on the show.
— Bobby Big Wheel (@BobbyBigWheel) January 29, 2014
Pres. Obama's favorite TV shows won't surprise you: House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Mad Men http://t.co/WgkOSpvnsK — Nisha Chittal (@NishaChittal) December 30, 2013
Friend: 'Aren't you afraid?' Of what, missing Mad Men? NSA and Obama are engaged in treasonous activity, let's dig deep and have fun.
— David Seaman (@d_seaman) June 10, 2013
I have to choose between Game of Thrones and Mad Men? Thanks, Obama! — Sam Montgomery (@sammontgomery) April 7, 2013
'Mad Men' Star Jon Hamm Pitches Early Voting For Obama: http://t.co/HtDjO4mh
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) October 30, 2012
just saw the Obama campaign's "Swiss Bank Account" anti-Romney ad during Mad Men commercial break. Hmmmm..... — Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) May 7, 2012
There's a certain logic ot Obama as a Mad Men character http://t.co/rp19MTn0
— Ben Smith (@BuzzFeedBen) March 25, 2012
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up