ICICI Posts Slowest Quarterly Growth in 4 Years
January 29, 2014 7:07 PM EST
ICICI Bank Ltd (ICBK.NS), India's biggest private sector lender, posted its slowest quarterly growth in four years as asset quality worsened and funds set aside for bad loans and contingencies almost doubled from a year earlier.
Customers use ATM machines at an ICICI Bank branch in Mumbai January 30, 2013.
Net profit reached 25.3 billion rupees in October-December from 22.5 billion a year earlier, the bank said on Wednesday. That was higher than the 24.6 billion rupee mean estimate of 23 analysts polled by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net interest income, or the difference between interest earned and paid, rose about 22 percent to 42.6 billion rupees.
Net non-performing loans as a percentage of total assets rose to 0.94 percent from 0.76 percent.
Net interest margin improved to 3.32 percent from 3.07 percent.
Shares of ICICI, with a market value of $18.6 billion, briefly fell after the results but pared losses to trade up 0.9 percent at 1,027.8 rupees at 0714 GMT. The broader market .BSESN was up 0.43 percent.
ICICI's results compare with rivals Yes Bank Ltd (YESB.NS),HDFC Bank Ltd (HDBK.NS) and IndusInd Bank Ltd (INBK.NS), which posted third-quarter profit growth of 21 percent, 25 percent, 30 percent respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers