ICICI Posts Slowest Quarterly Growth in 4 Years
January 29, 2014 7:07 PM EST
ICICI Bank Ltd (ICBK.NS), India's biggest private sector lender, posted its slowest quarterly growth in four years as asset quality worsened and funds set aside for bad loans and contingencies almost doubled from a year earlier.
Customers use ATM machines at an ICICI Bank branch in Mumbai January 30, 2013.
Net profit reached 25.3 billion rupees in October-December from 22.5 billion a year earlier, the bank said on Wednesday. That was higher than the 24.6 billion rupee mean estimate of 23 analysts polled by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net interest income, or the difference between interest earned and paid, rose about 22 percent to 42.6 billion rupees.
Net non-performing loans as a percentage of total assets rose to 0.94 percent from 0.76 percent.
Net interest margin improved to 3.32 percent from 3.07 percent.
Shares of ICICI, with a market value of $18.6 billion, briefly fell after the results but pared losses to trade up 0.9 percent at 1,027.8 rupees at 0714 GMT. The broader market .BSESN was up 0.43 percent.
ICICI's results compare with rivals Yes Bank Ltd (YESB.NS),HDFC Bank Ltd (HDBK.NS) and IndusInd Bank Ltd (INBK.NS), which posted third-quarter profit growth of 21 percent, 25 percent, 30 percent respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon