ICICI Posts Slowest Quarterly Growth in 4 Years
January 29, 2014 7:07 PM EST
ICICI Bank Ltd (ICBK.NS), India's biggest private sector lender, posted its slowest quarterly growth in four years as asset quality worsened and funds set aside for bad loans and contingencies almost doubled from a year earlier.
Customers use ATM machines at an ICICI Bank branch in Mumbai January 30, 2013.
Net profit reached 25.3 billion rupees in October-December from 22.5 billion a year earlier, the bank said on Wednesday. That was higher than the 24.6 billion rupee mean estimate of 23 analysts polled by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net interest income, or the difference between interest earned and paid, rose about 22 percent to 42.6 billion rupees.
Net non-performing loans as a percentage of total assets rose to 0.94 percent from 0.76 percent.
Net interest margin improved to 3.32 percent from 3.07 percent.
Shares of ICICI, with a market value of $18.6 billion, briefly fell after the results but pared losses to trade up 0.9 percent at 1,027.8 rupees at 0714 GMT. The broader market .BSESN was up 0.43 percent.
ICICI's results compare with rivals Yes Bank Ltd (YESB.NS),HDFC Bank Ltd (HDBK.NS) and IndusInd Bank Ltd (INBK.NS), which posted third-quarter profit growth of 21 percent, 25 percent, 30 percent respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier