‘Dear Daddy, Men are Just Not for me’ Says Hong Kong Tycoon’s Lesbian Daughter in Open Letter
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 29, 2014 6:25 PM EST
Imagine you were willing to give any amount of money for a man to marry your daughter but you receive an open letter from your daughter urging you to accept that she is a lesbian and that men are just not for her. How would you feel?
Gigi Chao, the daughter of Hong Kong property tycoon Cecil Chao Sze-tsung, poses at the conference room of her office in Hong Kong September 27, 2012.
This is the story of a rich Hong Kong tycoon, Cecil Chao Sze-tsung, who offered a whopping HK$500 million ($64m) 'dowry' to a man that would marry his daughter, Gigi Chau. The only problem, however, was that his daughter was already married to her female partner of nine years, Sean Eav. Marrying a man was the last thing she wanted to do.
Despite knowing that his daughter was 'married' in a civil ceremony in France in 2012, the property developer father remained poised to attract suitable men for his daughter with his bounty. He insisted that his daughter was still single, adding that he believed that her thoughts could still change as she was only 33, the South China Morning Post reported.
The Hong Kong based newspaper was among the first news outlets to publish the open letter that she was forced to write as there seemed to be no other way out to convince her father that she cannot be happy with a man.
"My regret is that you have no idea how happy I am with my life, and there are aspects of my life that you don't share. I suppose we don't need each other's approval for our romantic relationships, and I am sure your relationships are really fantastic too," Gigi wrote in her letter.
"However, I do love my partner Sean, who does a good job of looking after me, ensuring I am fed, bathed and warm enough every day, and generally cheering me up to be a happy, jolly girl. She is a large part of my life, and I am a better person because of her".
She added that she was sorry to mislead him to think that she was only in a lesbian relationship because there was a shortage of good, suitable men in Hong Kong.
"There are plenty of good men, they are just not for me," she said.
One of most interesting part of the letter was the way she ended it.
"Patiently yours," she said, 'Your daughter, Gigi."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports