Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Won't Receive Android 4.5 with End of Life Cycle on Android 4.4.2 KitKat?
By Ryan Inoyori | January 29, 2014 6:21 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 may end its life cycle for good under Android 4.4.2 KitKat update coming on March to April 2014. Owners are not likely to get Android 4.5 version coming on the alleged Google Nexus 10 expected to be released this year.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Galaxy S3 and Note 2 are both popular but S3 is still being bought and sold in the United States and across the globe like Galaxy S4. With its good performance, Samsung decided to make it eligible for Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Leaked information reveal that Samsung may push the update starting from March to April this year right after Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 Android KitKat upgrade. Galaxy S3 and Note 2 will benefit from the new firmware as it maximises the memory and performance.
Moreover, some features from Galaxy S5 may even be included on the upcoming update and instant fixes for all complaints delivered by Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
1. New TouchWiz UI with magazine-style
2. Improved battery performance
3. Better multitasking
4. Updates on exclusive Galaxy S apps
5. New lock screen modes
6. New camera features
7. Major bug fixes from Android 4.3
International variant will be the first to receive the update via Samsung Kies or FOTA along with the European model. Samsung usually push out updates at random location but owners in the United States are commonly last recipients for network carriers require certification before any push is performed.
Rumours suggest that the rollout may happen as early as March 2014 according to a Samsung insider. But not all variants of S3 or Note 2 are going to receive the update as soon as March and may actually wait till April to June.
End of Life Cycle
There is a good chance that Galaxy S3 and Note 2 will end its life cycle on Android 4.4.2 KitKat which makes it unable to reach Android 4.5 version.
1. Galaxy S3 was released in May 2012 that makes it two years during Android 4.4.2 update.
2. Galaxy Note 2 was released in September 2012 but its 18-month update window will end on June 2014.
3. Android 4.5 or 5.0 will likely to be released exclusively on Google Nexus 10.
4. Google updates Nexus devices first then followed by Google Play edition smartphones.
5. Samsung needs more time to make TouchWiz UI compatible to Android 4.5.
6. By the time the optimisation is finished, Galaxy S3 and Note 2 have met their 18-month update window period expired.
7. Galaxy S5, Note 3 and S4 are likely first-hand receivers of Android 4.5 before any other Samsung devices.
In case all Samsung really decided to end Galaxy S3 and Note 2 life cycles with Android 4.4.2 update, owners may still attempt to use custom ROMs that are always available for the two most famous Android device ever made.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight